Subaru Japan has just announced the release of an A-Line version of its Impreza WRX STI.
The A-Line comes will all the other goodies of an STI, including the impressive all-wheel drive system and the 300-ish horsepower 2.5-liter turbocharched Boxer engine. What it also gets is a five-speed automatic transmission.
Aimed at appealing to a wider market (and at offending the Suby faithful) this slushbox STI isn’t equipped with a state-of-the-art double clutch system and it’s not even a six-speed auto. Yup, just a regular old 5-speed like a Honda Civic.
If it’s any consolation (which, if you ask us, it isn’t) the autobox does come with a Sportshift feature and paddles so drivers can operate the gears semi-manually. It also features throttle-blips on the downshift.
The STI A-Line, just like the STI, also features: VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control); dual piston calipers with 17-inch rotors in the front and 16-inch rotors in the rear; Subaru’s VTD (Variable Torque Distribution); and SI-Drive, which allows drivers to choose from three different engine mappings.
A new Satin White Pearl paint color is also available.
Currently the vehicle is set to go on sale in Japan, however, we do expect it to make it’s way to other markets (particularly in slushbox-loving North America).
Subaru Impreza WRX STI A-Line
Official release after the jump:
FHI to introduce a New Additional Model in the Subaru Impreza WRX STI: A-Line
Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today launches “Subaru Impreza WRX A-Line” which is a new addition to the current WRX STI model. The model goes on sale nationwide through Subaru dealerships today in Japan.
Based on the Impreza WRX STI, the WRX STI A-Line model was developed to offer its distinctive driving performance to a wider range of customers by integrating 2.5-litre turbocharged Boxer engine and 5 Speed Automatic Transmission with SPORTSHIFT*.
In addition, the current WRX STI was given some refinements to enhance comfort and quality feel; 8 way power adjustable front seats and a new body color, “Satin White Pearl”, is now available.
*SPORTSHIFT is a registered trademark of Prodrive Ltd.
Outline of Subaru Impreza WRX STI A-Line
The model features the exclusively developed 2.5-litre Subaru BOXER turbo engine with SPORTSHIFT* E-5AT, while retaining the basic component such as chassis and body of the WRX STI, Subaru’s performance flagship.
* The unique 2.5-litre BOXER engine comes with a single scroll turbocharger and produces a flat torque from the low and mid-rev range to high-rev range.
* Dual Active Valve Control System (AVCS) was adopted to control continuously valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, which improves low and mid-range range torque, high-rev range output and environmental friendliness.
* Tumble Generation Valve (TGV) controls the intake air stream to generate high combustion efficiency.
* SI-DRIVE (SUBARU Intelligent Drive), that enables the drivers to choose three different engine mappings, is standard.
* Paddle shift is featured to allow manual shifting without requiring the driver to release the steering wheel.
* Downshifting Blipping Control system was adopted. When down-shifting, the automatic transmission control unit interacts with the engine management system and increases engine revolutions instantly and to the exact required setting.
* Changing gears with the paddle shift can also be done by a temporary operation that does not require the selection lever to be set to the manual position.
* VTD (Variable Torque Distribution)-AWD system was adopted to provide excellent stability of the vehicle, which controls the torque distribution ratio between the front and rear axles depending on driving conditions.
* 17-inches ventilated dual piston disk brakes for the front, and 16-inches ventilated disk brakes for the rear were fitted.
* VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) System is standard.
* 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat is standard. Leather seats are available as optional and include (front) seat heating. Soft leather door trim with silver stitch is featured.
-Engine type: Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve turbocharged engine
-Displacement: 2457 cc
-Maximum output: 221kW (300 PS)/6200 rpm
-Maximum torque: 350 Nm (35.7 kgf·m)/2800-6000 rpm
-Turbo type: Single Scroll turbocharger