General Motors used the New York Auto Show to stage the official first showing of its GT1 line of special edition Corvettes. The car wasn’t competing for the spotlight, however, as GM generally ignored the car and instead decided to focus on its new SUVs – like the GMC Terrain and Yukon Denali Hybrid.
The GT1 edition corvettes are being built to celebrate the tremendous success Corvette has had in racing over the past decade. The GT1 Championship Edition Corvette comes with racing inspired graphics, including driver flags and the series championships. On display in New York was a black version, but the the car is alos available in Velocity Yellow. Unfortunately the car comes with so not-so-race-inspired chrome wheels.
Inside the interior is swathed in ebony leather with yellow stitching and features GT1 embroidery on the seats, instrument panel and center console armrest..
Under the hood, the engine cover has a special carbon look with yellow Corvette lettering.
The GT1 Championship Edition is offered as either a coupe, convertible or Z06 (as shown in New York), with just 100 of each model being made in each color for a total of 600 units.
All models receive a navigation system and both coupe and convertible will include the Z51 Performance Package and performance exhaust with an optional automatic transmission with paddle shifters.
Pricing is listed as $65,310 for the coupe, $71,815 for the convertible and $86,385 for the Z06. The GT1 Championship Edition Corvette will go on sale in the Spring.
The GT1 Championship Edition Corvette was create in homage to the successes of the C6.R racing Corvettes which took the ALMS GT1 Manufacturers Championship for 8 years, claimed over 70 victories in the series and won the 24 Hours of Le Mans 5 times.
2009 will make the last year for the C6.R in racing.
GALLERY: GT1 Championship Edition Corvette
More on the GT1 Championship Edition Corvette after the jump:
2009 Corvette GT1 Championship Editions (RPO GT1)
Chevrolet and Corvette Racing introduce a new limited edition
The GT1 Championship Editions Celebrates Corvette C6.R Racing Success
* American Le Mans Series GT1 Manufacturers Champions for 8 years * 5 time 24 Hours of Le Mans GT1 Champions * Over 70 victories in ALMS racing * 2009 24 Hours of Le Mans race will close out this successful era
Included in the package:
* C6.R livery inspired graphics feature Corvette Racing ‘Jake’, Championships, and driver flags * ZR1 style body color full width spoiler and chrome wheels * Custom Leather Wrapped Ebony Interior with exclusive Yellow accent stitching * GT1 embroidery on the leather seats, instrument panel, and center console armrest
-Special Engine Cover with carbon pattern and yellow Corvette lettering
-Windshield banner – owner installed
Available in either Coupe 4LT ($65,310), Convertible 4LT ($71,815), and Z06 3LZ ($86,385)
– Available in 45U Velocity Yellow (with black headlamps) or 41U Black
* Specific VIN sequence 300001 series for 45U Velocity Yellow representing the #3 C6.R * Specific VIN sequence 400001 series for 41U Black representing the #4 C6.R * Limited production to 100 per each color and body style combination and 600 total in Spring ‘09 * Coupe and Convertible versions also include: Z51 Performance Package, NPP Performance Exhaust
* Optional MX0 6-speed Paddle Shift Automatic on Coupe and Convertible * Optional C2L dual roof package on Coupe * Optional U3U Navigation System on all