With the new Mustang V6 now boasting an impressive 305-hp thanks to an all-new 3.7-liter engine, Ford has decided to launch a new Performance Package for the car aimed at improving handling, braking and acceleration.
In the acceleration department, with the more powerful engine already giving the 2011 model a big boost, the Performance Package comes with a new 3.31 rear axle to help down low. As for the brakes, they are upgraded with GT-spec calipers and Performance Friction pads.
The more significant modifications, however, have been made in the handling department. The long list of mods include Mustang GT front struts, rear shocks and springs, as well as front and rear stabilizer bars. There’s also a new strut tower brace. A set of 19-inch wheels with Pirelli performance tires will help get the power down and Ford even went so far as to donate the rear lower control arms from the Shelby GT500.
Another highlight is a new electronic stability control program with a Sport mode, that will allow for more slip in the corners. And of course, the Performance Package comes with a unique set of badges.
Official release after the jump:
2011 FORD MUSTANG V-6 PERFORMANCE PACKAGE BOOSTS HANDLING, BRAKING; CAR NOW ROAD-COURSE READY
- All-new 2011 Mustang V-6 joins the ranks of performance-tuned Mustang offerings worldwide; available Performance Package combines lightweight 305-horsepower all-aluminum V-6, a 3:31 performance rear axle and Mustang GT-based suspension and braking components
- Unique 19-inch wheels and Pirelli performance tires provide superb grip and aggressive appearance
- Electronic stability control calibration features Sport mode for high-performance driving and track-oriented events
DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 30, 2009 – Around the globe, Ford’s performance-tuned cars are known to provide an uncompromised driving experience in a remarkably civilized package. Growing from that tradition, the new 2011 Ford Mustang V-6 will offer an optional factory-installed Performance Package that combines high-tech horsepower and a taut suspension in a package that will appeal to track-day fans and sports car aficionados alike.
Powered by the same 305-horsepower all-aluminum Ti-VCT V-6 as the new 2011 Mustang, the Performance Package takes advantage of the new engine’s lightweight and high-revving nature to deliver a nimble performance car equally at home on a road course or a road trip.
“The new Performance Package delivers on fast, fun and affordable, combining the all-new 2011 V-6 with Mustang GT prowess,” said Dave Pericak, Mustang chief nameplate engineer. “It’s a true sports car for the new generation and a smart choice for the environmentally-conscious enthusiast. It is a perfect marriage of power, performance and value.”
Borrowing from the Mustang GT, the Performance Package includes numerous suspension, braking and body stiffening upgrades to deliver unparalleled handling performance. That road-holding is helped by a near-equal front/rear weight distribution, providing exceptional transient response along with the car’s slimmed-down curb weight of less than 3,500 pounds.
2011 Mustang Performance Package upgrades include:
- A 3.31 rear axle ratio for quicker off-the-line acceleration
- Mustang GT coupe front and rear stabilizer bars
- Mustang GT front struts and rear shocks/springs
- Shelby GT500 rear lower control arm
- Unique 19-inch wheels
- Pirelli performance tires for improved grip
- Mustang GT front and rear brake calipers with Performance Friction pads
- A strut tower brace for increased body rigidity
- Unique electronic stability control calibration with Sport mode for performance driving
- Unique badging
The 2011 Mustang V-6 Performance Package will be available beginning late next summer, built at the Auto Alliance International Plant in Flat Rock, Mich. The new 3.7-liter V-6 will be built at Ford’s retooled Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1.