While the trend for luxury cars in Europe and North America seems to be heading towards smaller vehicles, that’s not the case in China. The Chinese think that bigger is better and the Germans certainly aren’t going to argue with them. Case in point: the scheduled debut of the extended wheelbase BMW 5 Series at the Beijing Auto Show later this month.
Developed in Germany but set to be manufactured in Shenyang, China specifically for the Chinese market, we’re surprised at how the 5 Series Li looks so well proportioned. For those who don’t know, this isn’t the first extended-wheelbase 5 Series either, with BMW offering the previous gen model in a limo-version.
The wheelbase is 5.5-inches longer than the standard model, giving the 5 Series Li a total length of 198-inches and a wheelbase of 122.4-inches. BMW will offer the extended wheelbase 5 Series as a 523Li, powered by a 204-hp 2.5-liter inline-six; a 528Li, powered by a 258-hp 3.0-liter inline-six and a range-topping 535Li with a turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six making 306-hp.
GALLERY: BMW 535Li
Official release after the jump:
BMW at 2010 Auto China Beijing.
- Press Kit
– First appearance worldwide: the long-wheelbase version of the new BMW 5 Series Sedan. Developed in Germany, built in Shenyang, and tailored precisely to the requirements of the Chinese car market – these are the highlights of the long-wheelbase version of the new BMW 5 Series Sedan making its world debut at Auto China 2010. This new model stands out in particular through its sporting and elegant design offering supreme prestige and aesthetic appeal. The longer wheelbase, superior suspension technology and a wide range of features exclusive to BMW ensure outstanding driving qualities and long-distance comfort. At the same time the long-wheelbase version of the new BMW 5 Series Sedan sets new standards for sportiness and efficiency in its class through its powerful straight-six engines: Compared with the former model, both fuel consumption and emissions are down significantly while performance on the road is up by a substantial margin.
– First appearance in Asia: the new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible. The new BMW 3 Series Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Convertible stand out through their precisely refined design giving both models even greater sporting and elegant flair, combined with particularly efficient engines and innovative model features for an even more thrilling driving experience. Both models are being presented to the public in Asia for the first time at Auto China 2010, the highlight in the new range of engines being the 225 kW/306 hp straight-six with BMW TwinPower Turbo, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC valve management featured in the BMW 335i Coupé and the BMW 335i Convertible.
– First appearance in Asia: the new BMW X5.
BMW is proudly presenting the most supreme way to experience Sheer Driving Pleasure in a Sports Activity Vehicle – the new BMW X5 with its outstanding sportiness, optimised efficiency and extra luxury. The brand-new brand of engines available in this case comprises a 300 kW/407 hp V8 in the top-level BMW X5 xDrive50i and a 225 kW/306 hp straight-six in the BMW X5 xDrive35i. Appropriate modifications in design accentuate the even higher standard of driving dynamics in a most authentic way, while the even larger range of driver assistance systems again underlines the innovative character of the new BMW X5.
– First appearance in Asia: BMW Concept ActiveE The BMW Group is presenting yet another milestone on the way to CO2-free mobility at Auto China 2010: The BMW Concept ActiveE clearly substantiates the consistent process of development BMW is taking as a premium car maker in the area of electric mobility. Based on the BMW 1 Series Coupé, the BMW Concept ActiveE is powered by a 125 kW/170 hp electric motor, thus offering all the driving characteristics typical of the brand free of any emissions. This concept car also demonstrates its cutting-edge technology by innovative drivetrain and energy storage systems as well as their intelligent arrangement within the car. The characteristic features of the BMW Concept ActiveE include four full-sized seats, the luggage compartment offering approximately 200 litres capacity, rear-wheel drive, sporting and dynamic acceleration, as well as a cruising range of approximately 160 kilometres or 100 miles in everyday use.
– First appearance in Asia: BMW Vision EfficientDynamics. The second concept car to be admired for the first time in Asia at Auto China 2010 is the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics. Conceived as a plug-in model with full-hybrid technology, this unique 2+2-seater offers all the qualities and features for enjoying the performance of a BMW M Car with a standard of fuel economy and emission management even better than a small compact car in the market today. This superiority is provided by the intelligent combination of a three-cylinder turbodiesel and a hybrid synchronous motor on the front axle, plus a full-hybrid system on the rear axle. With its outstanding efficiency, emotional design and innovative control elements, the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics clearly presents the fascinating perspectives we may already enjoy today when looking at the mobility of tomorrow.