Okay, so we know that not everyone is a video game junkie, so we’ll take some time to explain what’s been going on in the wonderful world of technology. Microsoft’s XBOX 360 console has entered the realm of controller-less gaming, where your body’s movements and actions will dictate what goes on in the game, essentially taking what the Nintendo Wii has offered to the public and adding another dimension to it. Through its Kinect (formerly known as Project Natal) interface, the XBOX 360 will be able to monitor your closest movements, actions and mimic them on the television.
So while just the idea that we have this technology at our disposal is amazing, implementing it for our favorite driving game simulator is overly enticing. Recently Turn 10 did a nice demo where they invited out several industry personnel to see the Kinect experience. By simply putting your hands out in the 10 and 2 position, you will be able to control your vehicle in the ever popular video game series without the need of having an actual steering wheel. We’re a little lost on how you control braking and accelerating though.
The concept is great and we look forward to XBOX 360′s Kinect to see just how it’ll revolutionize gaming, but something tells us (being hardcore car enthusiasts) we’d still prefer the actual touch and feel of a nice steering wheel, especially with the force feedback many of them provide. It may be tons of fun for casual gamers to simulate the driving experience without the actual need of additional hardware, but for now we’ll stick to what we’re used to. But hey, let’s not discredit the technology and where Forza Motorsport is heading into the future. The combination of an actual steering wheel and pedal assembly with the idea of being able to simply move your head to change your view or look around you is entertaining in its own right.
Check out the official press release after the jump.
Forza Motorsport Preview
Turn 10 Studios have been working with the magic of the new “Kinect” technology combined with the power of the “Forza Motorsport” series exploring how players can race and interact with their dream cars in the most immersive and realistic automotive experiences ever imagined.
Turn 10 is celebrating five years of console racing excellence by raising the bar once again, bringing car lovers of all ages and skill levels inside their dream cars and closer to the racing action than ever before – no controller required – with a preview of the next “Forza Motorsport” project.
- The Forza Motorsport Preview is made up of two experiences:
1. Racing – Controller free driving
- With Kinect, you are able to drive and race by simply by putting your hands in front of you at 10 and 2.
- You can move your head to look around the interior. You can even look into the corners as you turn.
- As you’d expect, this experience is running in beautiful HD at a seamless 60 fps.
- Using Kinect and Xbox 360, We’re able to marry amazing graphics with fun and intuitive gameplay.
2. Car Experience – Exploration at a whole new level.
- Using Kinect, you can break through the screen and walk up to the car. It is like having the ultimate showroom right in your living room.
- You can walk around and check it out from any angle, you can take a closer look at the minute details …
- When you go to a car show, you can’t touch the Ferraris. You certainly can’t sit in one. With Kinect you can!
- With Kinect and the Xbox 360, you get unprecedented levels of immersion, previously unattainable and only possible using the Xbox 360.
- There will be more to come on this exciting project in 2011.