At last year’s SEMA Show, Hyundai unveiled a tuner-special version of the Genesis Coupe 2.0T, known as the R-Spec. Now Hyundai has decided to expand its R-Spec lineup to include the 3.8-liter model. What this means is that you’ll be able to get the 306-hp version of the G Coupe with all the Track pack goodies, but without the hefty price.
Included in the 3.8 R-Spec model are gunmetal 19-inch wheels, Brembo brakes, a stiffer suspension, a limited slip differential and sport seats. Oh, and it’s offered exclusively with a good-old six-speed manual transmission and comes complete with R-Spec badging.
In an effort to keep the cost and the weight down, the car does without items like automatic headlights, cruise control and some of the more premium options.
Pricing for the 3.8 R-Spec hasn’t been released but considering the R-Spec trim on 2.0T models costs just $1,750 over the standard car, we’d expect the V6-powered R-Spec model to retail for close to $26,750.
GALLERY: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec
Get all the 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe details in the official release after the jump:
2011 HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE Interior Refinements and New 3.8 R-Spec Enhance Genesis Coupe Lineup
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., July 15, 2010 /PRNewswire/ – Fresh off its inaugural year in which it thumped the likes of G37, Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger in various comparison test shoot-outs while leading all competitors in residual value, Hyundai’s Genesis Coupe is back for 2011 with interior updates, a revised lineup, and its hottest model ever, the 3.8 R-Spec.
2011 GENESIS COUPE HIGHLIGHTS
* Interior refinements o New soft-touch, matte-finish surfaces on door panels, center speaker grille, glove box, and lower instrument panel o New dark metalgrain accents on center stack, door handles, air vent register bezels and steering wheel trim o Padded door armrests o Softer, premium steering wheel leather o Cloth-wrapped A-pillars o Chrome finish for A/T shift gate bezel and center stack control knobs o Chrome finish gauge cluster rings o Rear coat hooks o Trunk deck lid grab handle o Enhanced multi-information display screen graphics * 3.8 R-Spec model added * Navigation with Fully Automatic Temperature Control now standard on Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium * Revised model lineup featuring six flavors of Genesis Coupe: 2.0T, 2.0T Premium, 2.0T R-Spec, 3.8 R-Spec, 3.8 Grand Touring, 3.8 Track
For 2011, Genesis Coupe features several interior upgrades that reflect Hyundai’s commitment to craftsmanship and high-quality materials. The instrument panel is crafted in a seamless, soft-touch skin fully encompassing new dark metalgrain trim. Softer leather now wraps the steering wheel and padding has been added to the door armrests for increased comfort. The A-pillars are now covered in a premium fabric to match the roof liner. New information screen graphics enhance appearance and readability and the finish of the controls has also been enhanced.
“The interior upgrades, our hot new 3.8 R-Spec model, and revised lineup of six focused models show that Hyundai is meeting the demands of our customers,” said Scott Margason, director, product planning, Hyundai Motor America. “The upgraded interior is a great illustration of how Hyundai continually raises its own high benchmarks for quality.” 2011 Genesis Coupe
The 2011 Genesis Coupe is a purpose-built rear-wheel drive sport coupe featuring two performance-focused engines – a 210-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and a range-topping all-aluminum, 306-horsepower, DOHC 3.8-liter V6 engine.
GENESIS COUPE HIGHLIGHTS
* 306-horsepower from enhanced 3.8-liter V6 from Genesis sedan * 210-horsepower turbocharged, intercooled inline four cylinder * Platform-mate and sinister sibling of the Car of the Year-winning Genesis sedan
Genesis Coupe is Hyundai’s most dynamic performance car, appealing directly to the true driving enthusiast. Genesis Coupe uses the same flexible rear-wheel drive architecture developed for the Genesis sport sedan.
Two engines infuse Genesis Coupe with performance. The 3.8-liter Lambda DOHC V6 engine delivers 306-horsepower and 266 lb.-ft. of torque on regular unleaded. This engine will launch the Genesis Coupe from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 5.5 seconds. To maximize the power band, the 3.8-liter engine utilizes DCVVT and a new Variable Intake System (VIS) that helps cylinders breathe more efficiently at both low and high RPM. The better-breathing results in outstanding off-the-line acceleration, passing performance and remarkable fuel efficiency. The V6 engine uses an alloy block and cylinder heads for lighter weight and thermal efficiency and features durable timing chains with no scheduled maintenance.
The turbocharged, intercooled 2.0-liter DOHC inline four-cylinder benefits from Dual CVVT on both the intake and exhaust camshafts. The 2.0-liter turbo generates 210-horsepower and 223 lb.-ft. of torque. It also features a cast-aluminum cylinder block and cylinder head. Both engines feature a free-flowing dual cat-back exhaust and an available Torsen® limited-slip differential to put the power to the ground.
Genesis Coupe employs a MacPherson® strut dual-link front suspension and a five-link independent rear suspension setup.The front suspension is mounted to the body via a solid subframe which is lighter and stronger than a multi-piece component would be. To help reduce body roll and tune the Genesis Coupe’s at-the-limit handling for maximum predictability, 24-mm diameter front and 19-mm diameter rear stabilizer bars are used.
While all Genesis Coupe models offer a sporty and involving driving experience, the high-performance Genesis Coupe R-Spec and 3.8 Track models are the most willing partners for the true enthusiast. The track-tuned suspension features a stiffer front spring rate, stiffer rear spring rate and unique shock valving. The Genesis Coupe R-Spec and 3.8 Track models deliver a substantial increase in roll control over standard versions of the Genesis Coupe. Superb structural rigidity sets the foundation for precisely-tuned handling performance in all Genesis Coupes.
Both engines are mated to a standard six-speed manual transmission. The Genesis Coupe 2.0T offers an optional five-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC® while the 3.8-liter V6 offers a ZF® six-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC to handle the additional torque. Both automatic transmissions feature steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.
HIGH PERFORMANCE BRAKING SYSTEMS
Brembo four-piston calipers clamp down on 13.4-inch ventilated front brake rotors and 13-inch ventilated rear rotors on R-Spec and 3.8 Track models. All other models get substantial 12.6-inch front ventilated rotors and 12.4-inch rotors in the rear with floating single-piston calipers. INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES
The 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track offers Xenon high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights. The advantages of HID headlamps include greater lighting power, daylight-type lighting and reduced power consumption.
Music lovers will welcome the 2011 Genesis Coupe’s standard auxiliary input jacks (3.5 mm mini-jack and USB input) to accommodate and charge audio devices such as iPods®. There is an optional in-dash navigation unit with a multi-gauge information display screen. This system provides new features including Bluetooth streaming audio capability. This easy-to-use unit can be controlled via 6.5-inch WVGA touchscreen or voice-recognition by headliner-mounted microphone.
SEGMENT-LEADING SAFETY TECHNOLOGIES
In keeping with Hyundai’s focus on offering segment-leading standard safety technologies across its lineup, the 2011 Genesis Coupe includes a wide range of both active and passive safety features. Standard safety technologies include driver and front passenger advanced frontal airbags, along with front seat-mounted side airbags, side air curtains and active front head restraints.
All Genesis Coupe models feature standard four-channel ABS with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) to optimize brake performance under various dynamic loading conditions. The system also includes Brake Assist, which provides maximum ABS-level braking force when a panic stop is detected.
Electronic Stability Control (ESC), one of the industry’s most effective life-saving technologies, is standard in all Genesis Coupe models.
“One of the program targets for the Genesis engineering team was world-class weight efficiency,” Margason said. “When you look at the size and content of both Genesis models, you’ll find we lead all our competitors in weight efficiency. We also target leadership in power-to-weight ratio. We think that’s just smart strategy in today’s world. It pays huge dividends in both performance and fuel economy, and that’s especially important in the segments in which these cars compete.”
Vehicle Engine Curb Weight (lbs.) Length (inches) Genesis sedan 3.8-liter V6 3,748 195.9 Genesis sedan 4.6-liter V8 4,012 195.9 Genesis Coupe 2.0-liter turbo 3,294 182.3 Genesis Coupe 3.8-liter V6 3,389 182.3
Both Genesis Coupe and sedan are rich in ultra-high-strength steel, leading to world-class body rigidity. The Genesis sedan is 10-12 percent stiffer in torsion than its Lexus and Mercedes-Benz competitors, yet it is lighter than these benchmark sedans, and offers more interior room. At just 3,294 pounds, the Genesis Coupe 2.0T is hundreds of pounds lighter than all of its IRS-equipped rear-wheel drive competitors, with body-bending rigidity 24 percent higher than the BMW E46 M3.
Curb Weight Power-to-weight Vehicle Length (inches) (lbs.) Horsepower ratio Genesis Coupe 3.8 182.3 3389 306 11.1 BMW 335i 181.1 3560 300 11.9 Infiniti G37 183.1 3627 330 11.0 Camaro LS 190.4 3780 304 12.4 Challenger 197.7 3819 250 15.3
This focus on weight efficiency pays dividends across the board. The Genesis sedan owes its ability to deliver both strong performance (0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds) and excellent fuel economy (25 mpg EPA highway rating) in great part due to its impressive weight efficiency. Similarly, the Genesis Coupe 2.0T sets a high fuel efficiency bar with a remarkable 30 mpg estimated EPA highway rating, because of its weight-efficient platform and its efficient 2.0-liter, low-pressure, turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Genesis Coupe product highlights
* 2.0T (6-speed MT or 5-speed AT) * 2.0T R-Spec (6-speed manual transmission only) * 2.0T Premium (5-speed AT only) * 3.8 R-Spec (6-speed manual transmission only) * 3.8 Grand Touring (6-speed AT only) * 3.8 Track (6-speed MT or AT)
Genesis Coupe 2.0T: A more efficient take on the rEAR-Wheel drive sport coupe
Standard equipment includes:
* 2.0-liter, low-pressure, turbocharged, intercooled 4-cylinder engine with dual continuously variable valve timing delivering 210 hp, 223 lb.-ft. of torque (at just 2,000 rpm), 30 mpg EPA highway rating and a top speed of 137 mph * M6VR1 6-speed manual transmission (Optional: A5SR1 5-speed electronic automatic transmission with lockup torque converter and steering wheel-mounted paddle-shift Shiftronic® controls) * 18-inch Euroflange alloy wheels with staggered Bridgestone Potenza RE92A tires (225/45VR18 front, 245/45VR18 rear) * Electronic Stability Control with Traction control, ABS, Electronic Brake Force Distribution and Brake Assist * 12.6-inch ventilated front rotors with 60mm single piston floating caliper * 12.4-inch solid rear rotors with 43mm single piston floating caliper * Sport-tuned MacPherson strut dual-link front suspension and five-link rear independent suspension, 24mm front stabilizer bar, 19mm rear stabilizer bar * Front strut brace * Quick-ratio hydraulic steering (2.7 turns lock-to-lock) * Tire Pressure Monitoring System * Front, side-impact, side-curtain air bags * Active front head restraints * Driver’s lumbar support * Black-out front lower fascia * Air conditioning with outside temperature display * Dark metalgrain and chrome interior accents * Remote keyless entry system with alarm * Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob * Power windows (one-touch up and down), door locks and mirrors * AM/FM/XM/MP3/CD audio system with six speakers * iPod/ USB/Aux jack connectivity * Steering wheel audio controls * Cruise control * Trip computer * Projector beam headlamps with auto light control * Bluetooth® hands-free connectivity with steering wheel controls
Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec: the ultimate upgradeable, affordable, turbocharged rear-wheel drive performance platform
R-Spec model adds or substitutes:
* 19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with staggered-width high-performance summer-compound Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (225/40YR19 front, 245/40YR19 rear) * Brembo® braking system with 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors, 42mm four-piston fixed front calipers (red), 13.0-inch ventilated rear rotors, 32mm+28mm four-piston fixed rear calipers (red) * Track-tuned suspension (higher-rate coil springs, higher-control shock absorbers, 25mm front stabilizer bar, 22mm rear stabilizer bar, front strut brace) * Torsen limited-slip differential * Black leather bolsters with red cloth insert seats * R-Spec badge * Front camber adjustment bolt (Camber bolts included but not installed. Dealer installation of the camber bolts is optional at the customer’s discretion) * Note: Automatic transmission not available with R-Spec * To reduce cost, weight, and complexity, R-Spec eliminates some non-essential convenience equipment such as automatic headlights, cruise control and some chrome/metalgrain interior accents.
2.0T PREMIUM: HIGH DEMAND TECHNOLOGY
In addition to 2.0T standard equipment, the 2.0T Premium model adds or substitutes:
* Power driver’s seat * 360-watt AM/FM/XM/MP3/CD Infinity® premium audio system with 10 speakers including DVC subwoofer, eight-channel external amplifier and diversity antenna * Proximity key with push-button start * Auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink® and compass * Power tilt-and-slide sunroof * Touch-screen Navigation system * Fully automatic temperature control Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec
3.8 R-Spec equipment includes:
* 3.8-liter DOHC V6 engine with DCVVT delivering 306 hp and a top speed of 149 mph 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission * 19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with staggered-width high-performance summer-compound Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (225/40YR19 front, 245/40YR19 rear) * Brembo® braking system with 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors, 42mm four-piston fixed front calipers (red), 13.0-inch ventilated rear rotors, 32mm+28mm four-piston fixed rear calipers (red) * Track-tuned suspension (higher-rate coil springs, higher-control shock absorbers, 25mm front stabilizer bar, 22mm rear stabilizer bar, front strut brace) * Torsen-type limited-slip differential * Black leather bolsters with red cloth insert seats * R-Spec badge * Front camber adjustment bolt (Camber bolts included but not installed. Dealer installation of the camber bolts is optional at the customer’s discretion) * Electronic Stability Control (ESC) w/ Traction Control System (TCS) * Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) w/ Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) * 4-Wheel disc brakes with Brake Assist * 6 airbags: Advanced dual front airbags with Occupant Classification System (OCS), front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, and roof-mounted side-curtain airbags * Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) * Active front head restraints * Remote keyless entry system * Multi-information display (MID) * Fog Lights * Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter * AM/FM/XM®/CD/MP3 audio system * iPod®/USB and MP3 auxiliary input jacks * Steering-wheel-mounted audio controls * Bluetooth® hands-free phone system * Manual air conditioning w/ outside temperature display * Trip computer * Power windows with auto-down/up * Power Door Locks and Outside mirrors * Note: Automatic transmission not available with R-Spec * To reduce cost, weight, and complexity, the R-Spec eliminates some non-essential convenience equipment such as automatic headlights, cruise control and some chrome/metalgrain interior accents
Genesis COUPE 3.8 GRAND TOURING: refined performance with premium features
In addition to 3.8 R-Spec equipment, the 3.8 Grand Touring adds or substitutes:
* ZF® 6-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle-shift Shiftronic® controls * 18-inch Euroflange alloy wheels with staggered Bridgestone Potenza RE92A tires (225/45VR18 front, 245/45VR18 rear) * 12.6-inch ventilated front rotors with 60mm single piston floating caliper * 12.4-inch solid rear rotors with 43mm single piston floating caliper * Sport-tuned MacPherson strut dual-link front suspension and five-link rear independent suspension, 24mm front stabilizer bar, 19mm rear stabilizer bar * Front strut brace * Fully automatic temperature control * Premium door sill plates * Chrome front fascia accents * Power driver’s seat * Heated driver and passenger seat * Leather seating surfaces * 360-watt AM/FM/XM/MP3/CD Infinity® premium audio system with 10 speakers including DVC subwoofer, eight-channel external amplifier, and diversity antenna * Touch-screen navigation system * Proximity key with push-button start * Automatic headlights * Cruise control * Auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink® and compass * Dark metalgrain and chrome interior accents * Heated mirrors with outside turn signal indicators * Backup warning system * Power tilt-and-slide sunroof * Note: Deletes track-tuned suspension, Brembo® braking system, Torsen limited-slip differential, camber adjustment bolts, and R-Spec badge
GENESIS COUPE 3.8 TRACK: ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE
The factory-tuned 3.8 Track model deletes the backup warning system and chrome front fascia accents from the Grand Touring model, and adds or substitutes:
* Black leather seating surfaces * 19-inch gunmetal finish alloy wheels with staggered high-performance summer-compound Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (225/40YR19 front, 245/40YR19 rear) * Brembo® braking system with 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors, 42mm four-piston fixed front calipers (red), 13.0-inch ventilated rear rotors, 32mm+28mm four-piston fixed rear calipers (red) * Track-tuned suspension (higher-rate coil springs, higher-control shock absorbers, 25mm front stabilizer bar, 22mm rear stabilizer bar, front strut brace) * Torsen limited-slip differential * Aluminum pedals * Xenon HID headlamps * Aero wipers * Rear spoiler * Black-out front lower fascia * Lightweight temporary spare with aluminum wheel (T135/80D18) Genesis Coupe is available in eight exterior colors:
* Karussell White * Bathurst Black * Silverstone * Nordschleife Gray * Acqua Minerale Blue * Tsukuba Red * Mirabeau Blue * Interlagos Yellow
Genesis Coupe features four different interior themes:
* Black environment, premium black cloth seats (2.0T, 2.0T Premium) * Black environment, black leather-bolstered seats with high-friction red cloth insert (2.0T R-Spec, 3.8 R-Spec) * Black environment, black leather seats (3.8 Track) * Black environment, saddle brown or black leather seats (3.8 Grand Touring)
HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA
Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Fountain Valley, Calif., is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Co. of Korea. Hyundai vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced through about 800 dealerships nationwide. All Hyundai vehicles sold in the U.S. are covered by the Hyundai Assurance program, which includes the 5-year/60,000-mile fully transferable new vehicle warranty, Hyundai’s 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty and 5-years of complimentary Roadside Assistance.