Ah, Ford‘s new 5.0L engine. The savior of the Mustang, and the provider of the thrust behind the cheapest 400+ horsepower car you can buy. It’s got variable valve timing, real headers, a beautifully sculpted intake manifold, and 412 advertised horsepower. Until now, it’s only had one problem: The only way to get one is under the hood of a $30,000 2011 Mustang GT.
That all changes now.
Starting August 15th, Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) will be offering the 5.0L as a crate engine, and you can just go ahead and stuff that bad boy into whatever you’ve got laying around. All it takes is $6,999 plus an alternator, a few accessories, a transmission, and the appropriate RWD architecture.
If you ask us, grab yourself an ’89 Mustang Notchback, LX or 4-banger, drop this bad boy in along with the Tremec 6-speed from the Mustang GT, a set of coilovers, a cage, and some 18″ American Racing wheels, and you’ve got yourself a hell of a hot rod for under $15,000.
Hit the jump for all the vital details about the new crate engine, part number M-6007-M50, directly from Ford:
Ford Racing 5.0L 4V Mustang Crate Engine Stats: Ford Racing’s new all-aluminum 5.0L Mustang crate engine is a modern 5.0L 32-valve DOHC V-8 that uses advanced features like Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) to deliver 412+ horsepower @ 6500 rpm and 390 ft.-lb.+ of torque @ 4250 rpm (with premium fuel)
- 11.0:1 Compression ratio
- Lightweight aluminum cylinder block features cross-bolted main bearing caps and thick main bearing bulkheads for bottom-end strength
- Piston-cooling jets, optimized oil drainback and windage control improve high-rpm performance
- Deep sump oil pan with 8qt capacity
- Tuned composite intake manifold provides efficient air delivery and weight savings
- 80 mm single bore “drive by wire” throttlebody
- Four-valve-per-cylinder aluminum heads with roller-finger followers reduce friction
- Includes manual transmission engine harness and flywheel
- Vehicle harness and PCM not included
- Use our NEW wiring, PCM and installation kit M-6017-A504V designed for street rod/project car installation.
- Does not include alternator, for alternator kit see M-8600-M50ALT
- Engine mount bosses and bellhousing mount pattern common to 4.6L modular engines.
- Direct replacement for 2011 Mustangs with engine code BG-397-AA
- Photo and specs may vary. These features apply for engine code BG-397-AA. Engines are this build code or newer while supplies last.
- Engine weight: 444 lbs