GM invited us out to Vegas a day early to treat us to a sneak peek at some of their SEMA Show cars. We met at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, home to the Ron Fellows Racing School – along with one of the best private member tracks in the world. The first car that GM showed us looked right at home in this setting – The 2011 Chevrolet Corvette Z06X Track Car Concept.
This white and black ‘Vette was developed by Pratt and Miller, the firm that prepares most of the Corvette race cars for Chevrolet – just like the C6R.S parked next to it. The Z06X concept starts as a Corvette Z06 with the 1LZ package, the Z07 Performance Package and the CFZ Carbon Fiber Package. Sounds like a perfect showroom selection from your local Chevy dealer. It goes a few steps further than that dealership darling however.
It uses a lot of off-the-shelf parts from General Motors Performance Parts to create a club racer of sorts. The Z06X Concept gets some full competition mods including an adjustable carbon fiber rear wing, a polycarbonate rear window, roll cage, racing seat and safety harness, racing wheels, suspension tweaks that include coil-over struts with fully adjustable camber plates, a racing-spec cooling system and more. It does lose a few things in the process, however, like the radio, carpeting and sound-deadening material. They won’t be missed.
Will they build it? Nobody is saying just yet, but if enough gentlemen racers show up with blank checks in hand, we can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t. Live pics and media pics below, along with the full press release.
GALLERY: Chevy Corvette Z06X Track Car Concept
2011 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06X TRACK CAR CONCEPT
Corvette is a mainstay on racing circuits ranging from LeMans to club racing. Chevrolet’s Corvette Z06X Concept suggests a new idea and components for transforming a production Corvette into a serious, closed-course track car.
The Corvette Z06X Concept showcases how an enthusiast can leverage Chevrolet’s expanding portfolio of performance parts to create a full-on track car. Chevrolet teamed with Pratt and Miller, partners in Corvette Racing in the American LeMans Series, to create this Z06X track car concept.
“Racing is an integral part of Corvette performance and technology,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. “This concept car represents a mid-point between our GT race car and the production Z06, prepared by the team responsible for the Corvette Racing C6.R race cars, and featuring many performance parts owners can choose today.”
The Z06X concept is based on the Corvette Z06 with the 1LZ equipment package, along with the Z07 Performance Package and CFZ Carbon Fiber Package. The 2011 Z06 with the Z07 package creates the lightest production Corvette and includes carbon ceramic brakes and Magnetic Ride Control, while the CFZ package offers body components that enhance aerodynamic down force on the race track, including a front splitter.
The Z06X Concept features competition-oriented modifications including: an adjustable carbon fiber rear wing, a polycarbonate rear window, roll cage, racing seat and safety harness, racing wheels, suspension enhancements – including coil-over struts with fully adjustable camber plates – racing-spec cooling system and more. The radio, carpeting and sound-deadening material are also removed.
The concept vehicle wears a low-gloss Icy White Metallic exterior color, accented with exposed carbon fiber body components and red trim. It rides on black racing wheels and racing tires. The interior is all business, with a racing seat, window net and roll cage-mounted camera system. It includes a racing pedal kit, a Genuine Corvette Accessory.
“It’s a classic case of form following function,” said Dave Ross, design manager. “The exterior color and accents were carefully selected to enhance the Corvette’s racing-influenced design, but there’s nothing superfluous in the Z06X’s design – everything is there for a reason.”
- Low-gloss Icy White Metallic color with exposed carbon fiber and red accents
- 2011 CFZ-option carbon fiber package, including splitter and rockers
- Adjustable carbon fiber wing
- ZR1 carbon fiber roof panel and B-pillar panels
- Carbon fiber raised hood (from the Z06 Carbon Limited Edition)
- Carbon fiber headlamp housings from Specter Werkes/Sports
- Weight-saving and shatter-resistant polycarbonate rear window
- Base Z06 1LZ trim
- Radio, carpeting and sound-deadening material removed
- SCCA-spec roll cage
- SCCA-approved window net
- Racing seat with five-point safety harness
- Fire suppression system
- Driver’s drink system
- Video camera system mounted on the roll cage
- Genuine Corvette Accessory racing pedal kit
- LS7 7.0L V-8 engine and Tremec six-speed manual transmission
- Low-restriction air intake system
- High-capacity radiator and enhanced cooling system
- New-for-2011 Z07 Performance Package, feature Brembo carbon ceramic brake rotors and special brake pads
- Lightweight racing wheels in black; 19-inch (front) and 20-inch (rear)
- Michelin racing tires
- Mono-ball control arm bushing
- Adjustable stabilizer bars
- Coil-over struts with adjustable camber plates