Bob McDorman has been a Chevrolet dealer for more than four decades, building his franchise into one of the most prominent in the United States.
Not only is that impressive in itself, but so was the collection of cars he amassed, some 150 prime machines, including a fistful of Corvettes (Bill and Florence Knudsen’s one-off Sting Rays, plus another experimental ’64 owned by Bill Mitchell, among other things).
However, on November 6th, through Mecum Auctions, McDorman elected to off-load his collection, during a one-day auction that took place on the site of his dealership. Eager bidders from around the country and abroad, flocked to the event and at one point some 1,100 viewers tuned in to watch it on a live webcast. By the time the gavel fell for the last time, the collection had generated $7 million in total sales. Hit the jump for a list of the top 10 cars that were auctioned off and the amount for which each was sold (naturally the list includes the unique Knudsen and Mitchell Sting Rays).
1. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible Bunkie Knudsen’s (Lot S70) at $400,000
2. 1964 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe previously owned by Florence Knudsen (Lot S73) at $280,000
3. 1964 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Bill Mitchell Experimental Sting Ray XX (Lot S72) at $160,000
4. 1953 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster 235 CI (Lot S57) at $131,000
5. 1955 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster Serial #2 (Lot S59) at #130,000
6. 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Pace Car 346/350 HP (Lot S138) at $112,000
7. 2006 Chevrolet SSR Roadster – the last SSR sold to the public – (Lot S56) at $109,000
8. 2002 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Coupe 427/600 HP (Lot S51) at $97,500
9. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro Pace Car Replica 396/375 (Lot S29) at $88,000
10. 1957 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 4-Speed (Lot S61) at $83,000
[Source: Mecum Auctions]