Hyundai has just announced that its new Sonata Hybrid will be priced from $25,795 – a roughly $5,500 premium over the standard vehicle and approximately $1,500 more than the Turbo version. A Premium package raises the price to $30,750.
Using Hyundai Blue Drive hybrid setup the Sonata Hybrid combines a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder (which makes 169-hp and 156 ft-lbs of torque) with a 30 kW (151 ft-lb) electric motor and ground-breaking new lithium-polymer battery to make a total of 209-hp and 195 ft-lbs of torque.
Along with pricing, Hyundai has also announced official EPA fuel economy numbers which are 35-mpg city and 40-mpg highway. That’s one highway mpg more than projected, but 2-mpg city less.
Base models come equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission, stability control, 16-inch wheels, LED headlight accents, LED taillights, fog lights, unique bodywork, remote keyless entry with proximity entry and a push-button ignition, a 4.2-inch trip computer display, dual-zone climate control, power driver’s seat with lumbar, tilt and telescopic steering wheel with cruise and audio controls not to mention iPod, USB and Aux. jacks.
The Premium package includes a panoramic roof, 17-inch wheels, Navigation, a backup camera, a 400-watt audio system, leather and piano black interior trim.
GALLERY: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Official release after the jump:
HYUNDAI ANNOUNCES PRICING FOR ALL-NEW SONATA HYBRID
Delivers 40-mpg, the Best Highway Fuel Economy of any Mid-Size Sedan
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, CALIF., 12/15/2010
Hyundai Motor America has announced pricing for its all-new Sonata Hybrid, featuring Hybrid Blue Drive technology and lithium-polymer batteries. In keeping with Hyundai’s simplified approach to product packaging, the Sonata Hybrid comes in just two flavors from the factory – the very well-equipped Sonata Hybrid at $25,795, and the incredibly well-equipped, tech-feature-packed Premium version at $30,795. Both deliver a segment-leading 40-mpg highway fuel economy rating, higher than any other mid-size sedan, hybrid or non-hybrid. In city driving, Sonata Hybrid delivers 35 mpg, yielding a 37 mpg combined city/highway rating from the EPA.
- Sonata Hybrid is a key part of Hyundai’s industry-leading Blue Drive fuel efficiency strategy, which targets 50-mpg by 2025.
- Sonata Hybrid is the third element of the game-changing 2011 Sonata product lineup.
- Sonata Hybrid offers a segment-leading 40-mpg highway rating, which fits the driving pattern of most Americans, who drive about 57 percent of their miles in highway driving conditions.
- Sonata Hybrid is powered by Hyundai’s all-new Hybrid Blue Drive system, featuring breakthrough lithium-polymer batteries.
Sonata Hybrid goes on sale in January.
2011 SONATA HYBRID MANUFACTURER’S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICING
|Sonata Hybrid with Premium Package||$30,795|
$750 freight charge not included
“Sonata Hybrid offers something new to the mid-size sedan segment, with its segment-leading 40-mpg highway fuel economy rating, differentiated appearance, and incredible value,” said John Krafcik, Hyundai Motor America president and CEO. “Like the 2.4L direct-injected Sonata and the 2.0L Sonata Turbo launched earlier this year, Sonata Hybrid demonstrates Hyundai’s unique approach melding innovative technologies and emotional design into products more and more people want to put in their driveways.”
The heart of Sonata Hybrid’s breakthrough Hybrid Blue Drive technology is its remarkable lithium polymer battery pack. Hyundai is the first automaker in the world to incorporate this remarkably efficient battery technology into a hybrid vehicle.
Beyond the innovative powertrain, Hyundai’s engineering team have addressed all aspects of vehicle efficiency including the most visually obvious one, aerodynamics. The Sonata hybrid shares the same “Fluidic Sculpture” design language with all other 2011 Sonatas but features a unique exterior that sets it apart from its siblings. The combination of re-shaped front and rear fascias with a deeper air dam, extended rocker panels and lower drag wheels allow the air to flow around the body with less resistance. The drag coefficient for the Sonata Hybrid is the lowest in the industry at just 0.25, which is more slippery than most sports cars including the Porsche 911 GT2 RS (0.34) and the 2011 Nissan GT-R (0.27).
The ability to easily slip through the air combined with low rolling resistance tires, along with the sophisticated Hybrid Blue Drive powertrain with engine decoupling, significantly reduces the amount of energy required to maintain highway speeds, resulting in the remarkable highway fuel efficiency of the Sonata Hybrid, the best of any mid-size hybrid sedan in the market.
SONATA HYBRID KEY FEATURES
- 2.4L Atkinson Cycle 4-cylinder hybrid engine
- Hybrid starter-generator (HSG)
- Permanent magnet high-power density motor
- 270V lithium polymer battery
- 6-speed automatic transmission
- Electronic stability control with traction control system
- ABS with electronic brake-force distribution and brake assist
- Front active head restraints
- Front, front seat side and curtain airbags
- 16-inch Eco-spoke alloy wheels
- Headlight LED accents
- LED taillights
- Front fog lights
- Side mirror-mounted turn signal indicators
- Unique, tinted chrome front grille
- Bodyside molding tinted chrome inserts
- Chrome window belt-line moldings
- Chrome exterior door handles
- Proximity entry with push-button start
- Remote keyless entry, alarm and immobilizer
- Electroluminescent instrument cluster (Supervision)
- 4.2-inch TFT multi-function trip computer with hybrid technology display
- Dual automatic temperature control
- Floor console mounted rear vents
- Power driver seat with lumbar support
- Chrome interior door handles
- Leatherette interior door panel inserts
- Tilt & telescopic steering wheel with cruise and audio controls
- Metalgrain interior accents
- AM/FM/XM/CD/MP3 with iPod/USB & Aux input jacks
- Power windows, locks, heated mirrors
- Integrated Bluetooth with phonebook transfer
- Automatic light control
- Solar control glass
SONATA HYBRID PREMIUM PACKAGE ADDS THESE FEATURES
- Panoramic sunroof with tilt & slide
- 17-inch Eco-spoke alloy wheels with unique finish
- Navigation system with high-resolution touch-screen display
- Rear backup camera
- Infinity premium speakers, subwoofer/external amplifier (400-watt)
- HD Radio Technology with multicasting
- Leather seating surfaces with heated front seats and rear seat bottom cushions
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel & shift knob
- Auto-dimming mirror / HomeLink / compass
- Premium door sill plates
- Glossy black door surround and outside mirror housing