It’s time to buy a car and you’re weighing all the options before making a purchase – including insurance rates. Your timing couldn’t be better, because Insure.com has just released their list of the least expensive cars, vans, SUVs and trucks to insure in 2011, and the auto brands that will lower your insurance rates are Toyota, Chrysler, Nissan and Chevrolet.
With the help of Quadrant Information Services, Insure.com determined these findings on premiums for 40-year-old male drivers. Using six major insurance carriers’ premiums in 10 ZIP codes in each state, they were able to access which vehicles would cost less to insure.
Taking the top spot was both the four- and six-cylinder front-wheel-drive Toyota Highlander – this car will set you back $1,154 and $1,183 per year, respectively. In the minivan category, the Chrysler Town & Country LX is the least expensive minivan to insure at $1,092 per year. If you’re in the market for trucks, the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 costs $1,174 per year to insure, while at $1,128 per year, the Nissan Murano SL is the least expensive SUV to insure.
Hit the jump for a list of the least expensive vehicles to insure in their respective categories, along with the cost to insure them per year.
1. Toyota Highlander (four-cylinder, front-wheel drive): $1,154
2. Toyota Highlander six-cylinder with front-wheel drive: $1,183
3. Volkswagen CC Sport four-cylinder: $1,186
4. Nissan Cube SL: $1,188
5. Nissan Cube: $1,206
Minivans and Vans
1. Chrysler Town & Country LX: $1,092
2. Toyota Sienna (four-cylinder): $1,101
3. Toyota Sienna LE (four-cylinder): $1,108
4. Honda Odyssey LX: $1,115
5. Honda Odyssey EX: $1,138
1. Nissan Murano SL (front-wheel drive): $1,128
2. Ford Escape XLS (all-wheel drive): $1,150
3. Honda CR-V LX: $1,155
4. (tie) Hyundai Santa Fe GLS (four-cylinder, front-wheel drive): $1,158
4. (tie) Jeep Patriot Sport (front-wheel drive): $1,158
1. Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (extended-cab, eight-cylinder, front-wheel drive, 158-inch wheelbase): $1,174
2. Toyota Tacoma (regular-cab, four-cylinder, front-wheel drive): $1,184
3. (tie) Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (extended-cab, eight-cylinder, front-wheel drive, 144-inch wheelbase): $1,194
3. (tie) Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (crew-cab, eight-cylinder, front-wheel drive, 144-inch wheelbase, flex-fuel): $1,194
5. Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (regular-cab, eight-cylinder, front-wheel drive, 133-inch wheelbase): $1,197
[Source: Kicking Tires]