There are two things you may take away from this: 1.) there’s an International Parking Institute, and 2.) there are places in America to park that aren’t a painful, emotionally-draining experience.
In fact, places like Gateway Self Park, in Chicago, are actually a rather pleasant place to ding your bumper. The International Parking Institute cited this facility as well as 12 others around the country in the 2011 Awards of Excellence competition.
Parking is a $25 billion dollar industry, and the best parking garages are distinguished by their cutting-edge architecture, environmental impact, ease of parking, and efficiency. The Chicago garage, for example, recycles its own water and power and features electric charging and a green roof. Categories included “Best Design of a Parking Facility with Fewer than 800 Spaces,” “Best Parking Facility Rehabilitation or Restoration,” and “Innovation in a Parking Operation or Program,” which does not just consist of getting your parking validated from TGI Friday’s.
Click the jump to see if your city made it.
- Chicago, Illinois: Greenway Self Park
- Chicago, Illinois: Click and Park
- Chicago, Illinois: SPokes Bicycle Lending Program
- Atlanta, Georgia: Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
- Tampa, Florida: Tampa Port Authority Channelside Parking Garage
- Morgantown, West Virginia: Mountaineer Station, West Virginia University
- Fort Collins, Colorado: Lake Street Parking Garage, Colorado State University
- San Jose, California: Mineta San Jose International Airport
- Irvine, California: Parking and Transportation Services, University of California at Irvine
- York, PA: Market Street
- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada: Parkade Garage Complex, Royal University Hospital