Mercedes Planning More All-Wheel Drive AMG Models

Mercedes Planning More All-Wheel Drive AMG Models

The recently revealed 2014 E63 AMG won’t be the only All-Wheel Drive AMG sedan coming from the German automaker says a Mercedes-Benz product manager.

“Upcoming AMG models will be available exclusively with 4Matic in North America,” Christopher Goczan told at the recent 2013 Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto. Goczan, a Product Manager at Mercedes-Benz Canada, referenced the new E-Class AMG, and upcoming CLA 45 AMG, which both utilize all-wheel-drive.

The extremely powerful E63 AMG features 550 hp and 531 lb-ft of torque. When you pair that awesome power with its 4MATIC all-wheel-drive system, it can get to 60 mph in under four seconds, a half-second faster than the last generation  To give a sportier feel, the 4Matic system in the E-class is tweaked to deliver 67% of the vehicle’s power to the rear-wheels, while the front wheels get the remaining 33%. In the upcoming CLA 45 AMG, the 4Matic system is a little different, sending 100% of the power to the front-wheels until a loss of traction is detected. With a turbocharged 360-hp four-cylinder engine, it’s likely that power will be sent to the supporting rear wheels very often.

SEE ALSO: Front Drive Not a Factor for Luxury Buyers Says Mercedes

All-wheel drive AMG models were normally reserved for Mercedes’ SUV models, like the ML63 AMG and G63 AMG. The E-class as well as the new CLS four-door coupe, are the brands first all-wheel drive performance sedans, and Gozcan promised that they certainly won’t be the last.

Mercedes has also revealed a more powerful E63 AMG S-model, which makes 577 hp and 590 lb-ft of torque. Gozcan explained that S-Model branding will replace the old “AMG Performance Package” that was previously available to AMG vehicles. The S-model changes are far more expansive than just an engine tune for more output. Goczan explained that more performance oriented brakes, exhaust and a limited slip differential will give the E-Class AMG more bite at the track.

This strategy will not interfere with Mercedes “Black Series” vehicles he says, which will still be reserved for exclusive, low-volume performance oriented vehicles.

Discuss this story at


Subscribe to our email newsletter and automatically be entered to win.

Get Breaking Automotive News, Reviews and Video in your Facebook Feed!

Already Liked