Another Tesla Model S has gone up in flames, though this time the car was parked in a Toronto, Ontario garage and was not plugged in.
The owner claims that the car was parked in the garage after a drive, when minutes later a fire alarm went off and the authorities were called. Fireman were able to quell the blaze quickly.
Tesla has been in hot water for fires before, and the company is still awaiting a U.S. government probe looking into the Model S fires. Recently, Tesla sent customers new wall adapters for their charging system, as the old adapters had been overheating. But seeing as the car was unplugged, that was not an issue in this case.
“Dealing with occasional fires is something that every car company has to do, as no vehicle is completely fireproof under all circumstances,” a Tesla spokesperson told Business Insider. “What matters is the number of such incidents per car, and it is worth noting that gasoline car companies experience an average of five to ten times more fires per car than Tesla.”
Tesla went on to reinforce the safety record of the Model S, which scored perfect on National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s crash tests. “In this particular case, we don’t yet know the precise cause, but have definitively determined that it did not originate in the battery, the charging system, the adapter or the electrical receptacle, as these components were untouched by the fire.” Tesla offered to reimburse the owner for damages and inconvenience cause by the fire, but the owner declined.
[Source: Business Insider]
Discuss this story at our Tesla Forum