But a look at the registration numbers of mid-size sedans sold in America, shows that the Ford Fusion is now the second most popular sedan in America, trailing the Toyota Camry. The ever popular Honda Accord has slipped down to third place.
However, the Accord is available in two body-styles, coupe and sedan, and when you combine these two, you’ll find that the Accord is still in second place. If you concentrate just on sedans, the Fusion, an American car built on a Japanese car platform (the Fusion is based on the old Mazda6) has taken the first runner-up spot.
The top-five sedans are as follows:
1. Toyota Camry = 108,629 units
2. Ford Fusion = 87,945 units
3. Honda Accord = 83,965 units
4. Nissan Altima = 80,957 units
5. Hyundai Sonata = 77,444 units