Auto News

AutoGuide News Blog


The AutoGuide News Blog is your source for breaking stories from the auto industry. Delivering news immediately, the AutoGuide Blog is constantly updated with the latest information, photos and video from manufacturers, auto shows, the aftermarket and professional racing.
 |  Nov 16 2011, 11:00 AM

 

Circuit of the Americas is halting of the Formula One circuit in Austin, Texas, effective immediately.

The organizers came to this decision after they didn’t receive a contract to assure that the Formula One United States Grand Prix will be held at their venue.

“We have spent tremendous resources preparing for the Formula One and MotoGP Championship races, but the failure to deliver race contracts gives us great concern,” said Bobby Epstein, founding partner of Circuit of The Americas in a press release. He went on to say that more than 100,000 fans expressed interest in the event.

The track would be the first purpose-built Grand Prix facility in the United States, but it seems that construction which otherwise had proceeded as expected, will only continue with a contract.

The announcement came shortly after Texas state comptroller Susan Combs said there wouldn’t be money paid out until after the race takes place.

That stacked on top of Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone’s $25 million sanctioning fee means the whole thing faces serious challenges.

[Source: AutoWeek]

 |  Jun 30 2011, 7:46 PM

From the “Only In Los Angeles” files comes this story of community outreach: Los Angeles police are asking celebrities with Twitter accounts to warn their legions of followers to avoid the 405 on July 16th and 17th, during the scheduled demolition of the Mulholland Bridge.

With almost 300,000 cars on the 405 every day, the traffic jams that would ensue would be horrific to almost Lynchian proportions. The police are counting on people to stay home and do what they always do—obsessively check celebrities’ Twitter feeds—and hope that the 6 or 7 million people following them will choose another day to Escape From LA. So far they’ve contacted Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore, Kim Kardashian, and hopefully Wil Wheaton, but not Levar Burton. No celebrities have tweeted about the planned closures yet, but officials are hoping they will closer to the date.

And while you’re at it, you can also follow Autoguide on Twitter while you’re waiting for the announcement.

[Source: NPR]