AutoGuide News Blog
The AutoGuide News Blog is your source for breaking stories from the auto industry. Delivering news immediately, the AutoGuide Blog is constantly updated with the latest information, photos and video from manufacturers, auto shows, the aftermarket and professional racing.
Thanks to recently passed legislation, New Jersey residents will now be able to take part in an incentive program through Stop & Shop supermarkets that can cut the cost of gas by as much as $2.20 per gallon.
We’ve always got our eye out for the cheapest gas prices – especially in the summer when we tend to do more long-distance driving. So how do you stretch your fuel budget? The helpful folks at Shell have some great tips to keep your summer road trips on track.
1. Don’t go overboard, just bring what you need: It’s easy to go overboard and try to bring everything you think you may need, but try to cut that list down to the essentials. Remember: an extra 100 pounds in a vehicle can reduce gasoline mileage by up to 2 percent.
2. Check tires inflation: If your tires are properly inflated, this can improve gasoline mileage by up to 3.3 percent.
3. Beat the traffic: Try to avoid leaving for that camping trip on Friday at 5 p.m. Speeding, acceleration and braking can lower gasoline mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and 5 percent around town.
4. Use the recommended grade of oil: Your car comes with a manufacturer’s motor oil recommendation – this can improve gasoline mileage by 1 to 2 percent. Tip: look for “Energy Conserving” on the API performance symbol (it contains friction-reducing additives).
5. Fill up with a high quality gasoline: High quality gas improves engine performance while driving. To help recognize what makes a certain gas high quality, look for fuel that is designated with the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standard. This will help you avoid problems that can be associated with using lower-quality gasoline.
It’s summer and your expenses have to go further. Ice cream, ballpark franks, cold beverages – there’s a lot more stuff to buy. Shell understands that you have better things to spend your cash on rather than gas – that’s why they are giving you the chance to win free fuel for a whole year.
From June 27 until September 5, 2011, consumers have the chance to enter the Shell “Favorite Road Trip” Sweepstakes. You may be one of 10 lucky drivers to win free fuel for year. There is a little homework involved (boo!) – you need to submit a short story about your favorite road trip route or memory. Every week for 10 weeks, Shell chooses a random winner (so you don’t have to worry about being Danielle Steel or JK Rowling to be selected). On top of that, random daily winners have a chance to win a $100 Shell Gift Card.
Once you finish your story or if you want to check out all the rules and on Shell’s “Favorite Road Trip” Sweepstakes, visit www.shell.us/roadtrip.