1. The 2018 BMW 3 Series will be going through some substantial changes for 2018 including new powertrains.
2. Expect the 2.0-liter four-cylinder model to make about 260 hp, while the 3.0-liter inline six cylinder model will likely make about 365 hp. M3 models will have an output of approximately 500 hp.
3. Two plug-in hybrid models will also debut with the 2018 3 Series: a smaller model will get power from a 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine mated to a 60-kWh motor that give the car 30 miles of EV range. The larger plug-in variant will be good for 50 electric-only miles thanks to a 90-kWh motor mated to a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine.
4. 2018 models will also get adjustable dampers, torque vectoring, active steering, advanced all-wheel drive and aluminum/carbon-fiber compound wheels.
5. BMW’s all-new cluster architecture (CLAR) platform will underpin the new 3 Series and will eventually support the entire lineup of rear-drive BMWs.
GALLERY: BMW 3 Series Plug-in Hybrid Spy Photos
Discuss this story at our BMW forum.
New Car Finder
View all BMW News Recent 2018 BMW 3 Series News
- 2019 BMW 3 Series Spied Testing with Fancy New Lights The production headlights and tail lights are now being used on the next-generation BMW 3 Series prototypes. read full story
- Top 10 Best BMWs of Bimmerfest East 2017 Check out our favorite BMWs from Bimmerfest East 2017. read full story
- Why Does BMW Have a Technology Office in Chicago? Plenty of other high-tech companies are based there, plus it’s a hotbed of entrepreneurship. read full story
- BMW Starts Production of New 3-Series Edition Models It's been more than 40 years since the first 3-Series rolled off BMW's assembly line. read full story
- BMW Will Make Sure You’re Never Late for a Meeting With New Connectivity Features BMW wants its cars to integrate better with people's smartphones and busy lives. read full story
- Poll: Mercedes-Benz C-Class or BMW 3 Series? Which iconic German sports sedan would YOU rather own, the Mercedes-Benz C-Class or BMW 3 Series? read full story
- All-Electric BMW 3 Series on the Way An all-electric BMW 3 series could arrive as soon as this fall. read full story
- Top 10 New Cars That Give People Buyer’s Remorse People get rid of these cars the most during the first year. read full story
- Watch the 2019 BMW 3 Series Drift in the Snow The seventh-generation BMW 3 Series has been spied winter testing. read full story
- BMW Helps Design a Hybrid Backhoe of the Future BMW has shared its latest collaboration with John Deere. read full story