1. The 2018 BMW 3 Series will be going through some substantial changes for 2018 including new powertrains.
2. Expect the 2.0-liter four-cylinder model to make about 260 hp, while the 3.0-liter inline six cylinder model will likely make about 365 hp. M3 models will have an output of approximately 500 hp.
3. Two plug-in hybrid models will also debut with the 2018 3 Series: a smaller model will get power from a 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine mated to a 60-kWh motor that give the car 30 miles of EV range. The larger plug-in variant will be good for 50 electric-only miles thanks to a 90-kWh motor mated to a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine.
4. 2018 models will also get adjustable dampers, torque vectoring, active steering, advanced all-wheel drive and aluminum/carbon-fiber compound wheels.
5. BMW’s all-new cluster architecture (CLAR) platform will underpin the new 3 Series and will eventually support the entire lineup of rear-drive BMWs.
GALLERY: BMW 3 Series Plug-in Hybrid Spy Photos
Discuss this story at our BMW forum.
New Car Finder
View all BMW News Recent 2018 BMW 3 Series News
- Watch the 2019 BMW 3 Series Drift in the Snow The seventh-generation BMW 3 Series has been spied winter testing. read full story
- BMW Helps Design a Hybrid Backhoe of the Future BMW has shared its latest collaboration with John Deere. read full story
- We Bet You Didn’t Know BMW and John Deere Have Something in Common The two companies collaborated to win eight design awards last year. read full story
- Watch the New Supercar-Heavy Top Gear Trailer Here The new season looks promising with a ton of supercars and the absence of a shouty Chris Evans. read full story
- BMW and McLaren Join Forces to Make Better Engines BMW and McLaren will collaborate to develop internal combustion engines that are both more powerful and more efficient. read full story
- Two BMW Models Earn IIHS Top Safety Pick+ Awards The 2017 BMW 2 and 3 Series models have both earned the highest award from the IIHS. read full story
- 2017 BMW Diesel Models Finally Going into Production Looks like BMW's diesel model are finally going into production. read full story
- 2018 BMW 4 Series Refreshed, Gets Sportier Ride The BMW 4 Series has received a new face. read full story
- Someone Lost a BMW in a Parking Garage for Six Months Most of us have forgotten where we parked our cars, but eventually we find them. read full story
- BMW’s Self-Driving Cars to Hit Public Streets This Year BMW will have self-driving cars on the road this year. read full story