1. Ford may be looking to get back into the compact pickup truck market in 2018.
2. According to sources familiar with the matter, the American automaker has begun contract negotiations with the United Auto Workers that will bring production of the Ranger to a Michigan Assembly Plant in 2018, helping to avoid the chicken tax that plagues the current generation Ranger.
3. The Ford Ranger was the best-selling compact pickup truck in the U.S. from 1987 to 2004, it was eventually discontinued in the US, while international markets received a bigger, more rugged model.
4. Expect the new Ranger to follow closely in the footsteps of its international predecessor.
5. Spy photos suggest the Raptor version in the works.
Discuss this story at our Ford Ranger Forum
New Car Finder
View all Ford News Recent 2018 Ford Ranger News
- Ford Ranger Raptor Prototype Resurfaces for Up Close Spy Photos Ford is readying its own Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 competitor. read full story
- Prototype May Hint at Upcoming Ford Ranger Raptor Or it could simply be a Ranger Fx4. read full story
- Ford Ranger and GT500 Spy Photos, Interesting Lexus Patent and More: Weekly News Roundup Video A look at the week’s most interesting automotive news stories. read full story
- 2019 Ford Ranger Spied Testing in Michigan At a glance, it’s hard to tell if this version looks much different than the Ranger that's already sold globally. read full story
- Ford Tops Automakers for Patents Received This Year Ford patented more gadgets than anyone else in the U.S. last year. read full story
- New Ford Safety Tech will Help You Swerve to Avoid Accidents and More Ford's new safety technology sounds pretty impressive. read full story
- 10 Cars Discontinued in the Past 10 Years That Need a Comeback The past 10 years haven't been a great time to be a car with great models being discontinued left and right. read full story
- Ford Plots Four New SUVs by 2020 Ford has confirmed that it will introduce four new SUV nameplates worldwide by 2020. read full story
- Ford Recalls Ranger Pickups Due to Air Bag Death, More Recalls on the Way Ford will recall about 391,000 Ranger pickups after a man was killed by shrapnel from an exploding air bag. read full story
- Ford to Revive Ranger and Bronco, Both Trucks to be Built in Michigan Ford is planning to build its new Ranger pickup in the U.S. as well as reviving the Bronco nameplate. read full story