If you’re considering purchasing an Assurant extended warranty, it’s a good idea to weigh the pros and cons of the provider. Understanding your extended car warranty options will help you make the best decision regarding your vehicle’s protection after its manufacturer warranty has expired.
Our research team looked into the coverage offerings, costs, and customer service reputation of Assurant to help you decide whether an Assurant extended warranty is a good decision for your vehicle.
We’ve also reviewed the best extended auto warranty companies on the market and will evaluate how Assurant stacks up against our top recommended providers. You can compare quotes from the most reputable companies using the buttons below.
To learn more about our editorial integrity policy and how we make money through affiliate partnerships, read our full disclosure here.
Table of contents
- Assurant Extended Warranty Highlights
- What Does an Assurant Extended Warranty Cover?
- How Much Does an Assurant Extended Warranty Cost?
- Quotes and Claims Processes
- Assurant Extended Warranty Ratings and Reviews
- Assurant Extended Warranty: 2.3 Stars
- Top Recommendations for Extended Car Warranties
Assurant Extended Warranty Highlights
Assurant has been in business for 125 years providing risk management products for cars and property. Based out of New York City, Assurant is a Fortune 500 company that began providing car warranties after it acquired The Warranty Group in 2018.
Today, Assurant underwrites warranties for cars, motorcycles, and other recreational vehicles. An Assurant extended warranty can be purchased in the US, Canada, South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia.
Additionally, Assurant offers many insurance, warranty, and extended service plans including those for:
- Housing policies
- Mobile device insurance
- Final expense and prearranged funeral coverage
- Renters’ insurance
- Shipping insurance
- Home appliances and tools (through its Assurant Service Protection Advantage program)
The company prides itself on being focused on community involvement on an international scale. Assurant is known for donating to charitable organizations and taking efforts toward reducing its carbon footprint, increasing recycling efforts, and lowering energy usage.
What Does an Assurant Extended Warranty Cover?
Assurant has four extended warranty plans with terms up to 12 years or 100,000 miles. You can get basic coverage for just your vehicle’s powertrain, mid-level coverage, or a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty that will cover most car parts and systems.
- Powertrain: Includes the engine, transmission, front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive
- Silver: Includes everything in the Powertrain plan, along with the steering, front suspension, brakes, seals and gaskets, electrical system, and air conditioning
- Gold: Includes everything in the Silver plan, along with components like the anti-lock brake system, power doors and windows, and fuel sensor
- Platinum: Covers almost every vehicle part with only a short list of stated exclusions
When you purchase an Assurant extended warranty, you also have access to these benefits:
- Roadside assistance: This 24/7 coverage includes towing, flat tire changes, fuel and fluid delivery, lockout assistance, and battery assistance.
- Rental car reimbursement: If your car needs to stay in a repair shop overnight for covered repairs, Assurant will cover your rental car up to $35 per day for up to five days. You can apply for coverage for an extra five days if any parts are backordered.
Assurant plans are transferrable to a subsequent owner. To keep your extended warranty valid, you must retain copies of all maintenance receipts during your contract term.
If you’re interested in Assurant extended warranty services, you should contact a participating car dealership or financial institution for more information. And, as always, be sure to thoroughly read your contract’s terms and conditions before signing on the dotted line.
How Much Does an Assurant Extended Warranty Cost?
Assurant’s website does not include information about plan pricing, so again, you’ll need to check with one of the provider’s affiliate retailers to see what an Assurant extended warranty would cost for your vehicle.
Our auto warranty industry research shows that the average annual cost of a bumper-to-bumper car warranty is between $700 and $1,000. Some factors that will influence the price of your Assurant extended warranty and your car’s eligibility for coverage include:
- Your location
- The level of coverage you choose
- Year, make, and model of your vehicle
- Your vehicle’s mileage
- Any pre-existing conditions
In general, the more expensive your car is, the more expensive your extended car warranty will be. This is because luxury and high-tech vehicles have unique coverage needs and require genuine factory parts to maintain value and continue operating at peak performance.
Quotes and Claims Processes
To get a quote for an Assurant extended warranty, you must contact one of Assurant’s affiliate car dealerships or financial institutions. Unfortunately, Assurant does not share a list of current partners online, so you will have to contact your manufacturer’s local dealerships to find out if any of them offer Assurant extended warranty services.
Assurant also does not share information online regarding its claims process. Typically when filing an auto warranty claim, you’ll need to provide your service technician with your policy ID number, and he or she will contact your plan administrator to determine whether the repairs will be covered. However, this process may be different for certain providers. Be sure to ask your Assurant extended warranty sales representative about claims process details.
Assurant Extended Warranty Ratings and Reviews
Assurant has a mixed industry reputation. Currently, the company holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) but only an average of 1.7 stars out of a possible 5.0 on Trustpilot.
The Warranty Group, which is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Assurant, also has earned an A+ rating from the BBB. This means all customer complaints filed against The Warranty Group through the BBB have been addressed and resolved to customer satisfaction.
Positive customer reviews about Assurant on Trustpilot focus on the company’s commitment to professional customer care, fast and efficient service, and prompt responses to customer complaints.
There are over 150 customer complaints against Assurant, most of which express dissatisfaction with the company’s mobile device insurance. Negative reviews regarding Assurant extended car warranties mention long wait times to speak with representatives, unprofessional and rude customer service, and slow claims processing.
Assurant Extended Warranty: 2.3 Stars
Without much information available from the provider, we are unable to recommend getting an Assurant extended warranty. While Assurant’s long-standing history bodes well for the company’s reliability, we find it unusual that Assurant does not share any plan information online.
Top Recommendations for Extended Car Warranties
If you decide that an Assurant extended warranty isn’t a good choice for you, rest assured that you have plenty of other options for reliable vehicle protection. The most effective way to make sure you’re getting the best rate for your extended auto warranty is to compare prices from multiple providers. We recommend looking into car warranties from Endurance, CarShield, and Protect My Car.
Endurance: Best Coverage
Endurance can be trusted to provide the best coverage for your car. The provider offers six distinct plan levels:
- Supreme: Exclusionary, bumper-to-bumper coverage
- Superior: Highest level of stated-component coverage
- Secure Plus: Shortest waiting period before coverage kicks in
- Secure: Most affordable basic plan
- Select Premier: Best for high-mileage vehicles
- EnduranceAdvantage™: Covers mechanical breakdowns as well as car maintenance
Endurance extended car warranties also come with a free year of Endurance Elite Benefits, which offers the most competitive perks in the warranty industry, including:
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Key fob replacement
- Total loss protection
- Up to two tire repairs or replacements per year
- Collision discount
- Endurance mobile app
Learn more about coverage from Endurance by getting a free, personalized quote.
Endurance is our pick for best direct provider with its comprehensive coverage options.
CarShield: Best Value
CarShield is a popular extended car warranty provider that ranks third on our list of the top extended car warranty companies. CarShield extended car warranties come in six coverage levels:
- Diamond: Most comprehensive coverage
- Platinum: Designed for high-mileage vehicles
- Gold: Mid-tier coverage
- Silver: Basic powertrain coverage
- Aluminum: Covers most electrical car components
- Motorcycle & ATV: Covers motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles
Benefits to getting an extended auto warranty from CarShield include:
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Towing benefits
- Rental car reimbursement (coverage varies depending on plan)
- Your choice of mechanic to perform repairs
- 30-day money-back guarantee
The price of your CarShield extended warranty will depend on the year, make, and model of your car, how many miles you have on the odometer, and the coverage levels you choose. But based on research for our in-depth CarShield review, we found CarShield to offer the most affordable plans on the market.
To find out how much you would pay for a CarShield extended warranty, get a free quote for your vehicle.
Our research found this provider to be the most affordable. Plus, it offers monthly plans.
Protect My Car: Best Financing
Protect My Car provides the best financing for your car’s protection. The company offers three coverage plans:
- Supreme: Bumper-to-bumper coverage including your vehicle’s turbocharger and navigation system
- Select: Comprehensive coverage that excludes the turbocharger and navigation system
- Driveline: Enhanced powertrain plan that offers the same coverage as the Select plan, minus suspension
Perks included with Protect My Car extended warranty plans include roadside assistance and a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied with your coverage.
Learn more about Protect My Car with a free quote.
Our review team prides itself on sharing accurate and unbiased information with consumers. We have accumulated data from dozens of extended auto warranty companies to formulate our rankings of the industry’s best providers. Companies receive a score out of 5.0 overall, as well as a rating in each of the following categories:
- Price: Comparing providers can be difficult due to the many factors that influence cost. To determine this score, we employ a secret shopper analysis using different vehicles, mileages, warranty plans, and locations.
- Coverage: A wide variety of coverage is essential to support the differing needs of customers. We take into account the number of extended car warranty plans available, term limits, exclusions, and additional benefits.
- Customer Service: The level of customer service and care provided by an extended warranty company is an important consideration. Our review team sifts through customer reviews and complaints from reputable sources such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot. We also consider the responsiveness of each company’s customer service team based on our secret shopper analysis.
- Reputation: Good extended warranty providers consistently provide quality experiences. Our team takes into account BBB ratings and the company’s history of reliable service when giving this score.
- Transparency: Customers value a commitment to open and honest communication when it comes to vehicle service contracts. Our team of experts takes into account the availability of money-back guarantees and sample contracts.