Report: Hyundai Drops V6 Option for Next 2011 Sonata

Colum Wood
by Colum Wood

When Hyundai recently unveiled the all-new 2011 Sonata in South Korea there was no mention of a V6 engine, but that’s not unusual for markets outside North America. Now word is out that there won’t be a V6 at all.

Instead, the company will offer a base four-cylinder engine as well as a direct-injection version of the same engine. As a result, expect a significant improvement in fuel-economy. Currently, the 2009 model with the 3.3-liter V6 gets 19/29 mpg.

Hyundai says that V6 models account for a small percentage of overall sales with just a 15 percent take rate. The remaining 85 percent are four-cylinders. The Korean automaker is not the exception either as in 2008, 76 percent of Honda Accords were 4-cylinder models while 90 percent of non-hybrid Toyota Camry’s were 4-cylinder models.

The V6 option is also expected to be dropped from the upcoming Tucson.

The 2011 Hyundai Sonata will get its North American debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January.

GALLERY: 2011 Hyundai Sonata

[Source: WardsAutoWorld]

Colum Wood
Colum Wood

With AutoGuide from its launch, Colum previously acted as Editor-in-Chief of Modified Luxury & Exotics magazine where he became a certifiable car snob driving supercars like the Koenigsegg CCX and racing down the autobahn in anything over 500 hp. He has won numerous automotive journalism awards including the Best Video Journalism Award in 2014 and 2015 from the Automotive Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC). Colum founded Geared Content Studios, VerticalScope's in-house branded content division and works to find ways to integrate brands organically into content.

More by Colum Wood

Comments
Join the conversation
Next