After announcing earlier today that it would reveal the new 2012 GT-R at the LA Auto Show, Nissan has taken the wraps off the refreshed version of its halo sports car without disappointment.
A long list of enhancements make the GT-R more capable in every way. Starting under the hood, the twin-turbo V6 gets a bump in power, with output now rated at 522-hp at 6400 rpm and 451 ft-lbs of torque at 3200 rpm. That engine also gets a new red cover to signify the added power.
Suspension upgrades include an entirely reworked setup with new springs rates, shocks an new carbon composite strut tower bar. New light-weight RAYS forged wheels are also included, with new Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX GT 600 DSST CTT tires that Nissan says offer improved straight line stability, better sidewall rigidity and an improve tread. Plus, new brake rotors are included to improve stopping distances, reduce fade and last longer under hard driving conditions.
Outside the GT-R gets a revised body with improved aerodynamics, bringing the drag coefficient down from 0.27 to 0.26. The design also increases front downforce by 10 percent and reduces airflow into the engine compartment, while directing more air to the radiator and brake cooling ducts. A longer rear diffuser also improved aerodynamics and improves cooling under the car (likely for the transmission). Rear downforce has also been improved by 10 percent. Two new colors are offered for 2011: Meteo Flake Black Pearl and Aurora Flare Blue Pearl.
Inside the 2011 GT-R gets some mild upgrades that include a magnesium coating on the paddle shifters and a genuine carbon fiber panel for the center stack. More comfortable seats are fitted to the Pure and Premium edition models while the Black edition gets more race-inspired seating.
The GT-R will be available in six different model options (in Japan anyway). These include the aforementioned Pure Edition, Black and Premium Edition, as well as the SpecV, Club Track and Egoist.
SpecV models retain the high-output engine from the new standard powerplant and gain the lightweight Rays wheels and new Dunlop tires as standard equipment. Also standard on SpecV models are upgraded brake pads and a more aggressive Vehicle Dynamics control program.
Next up is the Club Track Edition, designed specifically for circuit driving. Owners of this car will get to experience the GT-R in its purest form, with Nissan organizing events with professional instruction.
And finally, there’s the new Egoist model that will offer improved luxury and customization with owners able to select from 20 interior choices with all the interior components being hand-stitched by the experts at Seton Company, Inc. in Germany. The steering wheel will feature a special GT-R emblem made by Mr. Sakae Kubota, a Japanese lacquer expert, while a Bose audio system will be tuned to the ears of each owner. Outside, the Egoist model will get a carbon rear spoiler and titanium exhaust system (from the SpecV model), while special Blue Sword Chrome Rays wheels finish off the package.
GALLERY: 2011 Nissan GT-R
GALLERY: 2011 Nissan GT-R Egoist
Official release after the jump:
Nissan Releases the 11MY Nissan GT-R
YOKOHAMA (October 18, 2010) – Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. today announced the launch of the 11MY Nissan GT-R, which goes on sale November 17th at Nissan dealers nationwide in Japan.
For 11MY, GT-R features improved engine output and torque, greater fuel efficiency, revised handling, a refreshed exterior with improved aerodynamics, revised interior treatment and new wheels and tires. The large number of enhancements for the new model year is part of the continuous advancement of the GT-R design, technology and performance since its debut in December 2007. Nissan has also enhanced the level of after-sales support for GT-R owners, providing even greater value for customers.
The “World of GT-R” expands again this year with the addition of a racing circuit use-only “Club Track” edition and an ultra-exclusive “EGOIST” version that can be custom-ordered according to the precise desires of each individual customer. The complete 11MY Nissan GT-R model lineup now includes six versions – the “Pure edition,” “Black edition,” “Premium edition,” “SpecV,” “Club Track” and “EGOIST” – allowing customers to choose the exact level of dynamic performance and style to meet their various needs.
The 11MY Nissan GT-R will also be released in North America, Europe and other regions after February 2011. Nissan is considering introducing EGOIST in Europe and the Middle East, and the Club Track edition in Europe as well.
11MY Nissan GT-R Overview Developed under the theme of offering the “world’s best multi-performance and responsive driving pleasure,” every area of the GT-R has been carefully rethought or retuned for 11MY. The changes range from greater body stability and strength and improved aerodynamics performance to a sportier interior and enhanced performance. Following are the key enhancements of the creative GT-R design.
1. Mechanism Engine and Transmission Enhancements
- By modifying the boost pressure of the turbocharger, valve timing and air mixture ratio, reducing intake air resistance by enlarging the inlet pipe diameter, and reducing exhaust air resistance through use of an enlarged section of exhaust pipe, fuel economy is improved to 8.5km/L (10-15 mode) or 8.6km/L (JC08 mode).
- At the same time, the engine output is significantly improved to 390kW(530ps)/6,400rpm with maximum torque of 612N・m(62.5kgf・m) from 3,200 to 6,000 rpm. A new red color engine cover is used to demonstrate its greater performance.
- Cleaner emissions are realized through adopting an ultra-low precious metal catalyst and ECM with high-capacity microprocessor – achieving SU-LEV certification levels (emitting 75% fewer emissions than Japan’s 2005 exhaust emission standards).
- A new SAVE mode is adopted, which optimizes driving torque and modifies the shift schedule to improve actual fuel economy when driving highways or open roads. This mode also helps reduce ankle fatigue.
- Starting performance while selecting “R mode” for the transmission and VDC-R is improved.
- To control tight corner braking phenomenon, which can occur when starting the vehicle while turning the steering wheel, 2WD mode is added to temporarily shift to 2WD driving. * When the vehicle speed is below 10km/h and the steering wheel is turned more than halfway.
- A highly rigid, lightweight strut supporting bar, made of carbon composite with aluminum honeycomb material, is installed in the partition wall of the engine compartment. By linking the right and left struts to quickly receive suspension input, the vehicle body’s responsiveness to driving operation is enhanced.
- An additional support member is installed in the passenger side of the instrument panel. Responsiveness of the vehicle body is further improved by enhanced rigidity for connection with the engine compartment.
- For further production accuracy, the fitting precision of the body panels is enhanced and a higher-precision G sensor is utilized in checking the instrument panel during the vibration testing of each vehicle body.
Suspension and Braking Modifications
- For the front suspension, the lever ratio of the springs, shock absorbers and stabilizer bar is modified to improve the vertical load response of the tires. Front caster angle is increased from 5°35 to 6°00 to improve tire road holding ability when turning and stability while driving straight.
- For the rear suspension, toe performance is modified by changing the roll center height to a lower position in order to improve tire grip while making turns and to better communicate driving feel.
- An aluminum free-piston shock absorber design is newly developed which generates more precise damping force to constantly provide stable road holding and a load shift that quickly responds to driver’s intention. Reduced friction in the shock absorbers provides high quality, smooth ride comfort.
- A thin, large-diameter rotor (Φ390) developed uniquely by Nissan is adopted to improve braking force, fade resistance, pedal control ability and extend brake rotor life for sporty driving.
Wheels and Tires
- The 11MY GT-R also features newly designed, lighter weight and more rigid forged aluminum-alloy wheels. Made by Rays, the wheels help improve tire responsiveness to vertical load. Knurling inside the wheel is modified to avoid deviation of tire rotation direction caused by the higher engine output. On the wheel surface, a new Hyper Blue Black Chrome color is adopted, which expresses high quality and high-performance feel. The wheels’ deep gloss is created by utilization of a five-layer coating process.
- The Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX GT 600 DSST CTT tires have a new compound to improve tire grip. With renewed structure and improved tread and sidewall rigidity, straight-line stability in rutted roads is enhanced.
2. Design Exterior and aerodynamics
- Even with GT-R’s already intense and stable form, its world-leading aerodynamics performance is further improved through a number of significant enhancements. Downforce is increased by about 10%, while the coefficient of drag is further reduced from 0.27 to 0.26.
- Stability is improved by enlarged bumper and grille openings
- The front bumper is newly designed with double rectifier fins and Hyper Daylight with a large-diameter reflecting surface and high intensity white-color LED lights. The design increases front downforce by about 10%, while also reducing air resistance inside the engine compartment. The volume of air that passes through the radiator and cools down the front brakes is also increased.
- Additional plated parts are used for headlight inner panels, enhancing the car’s strong presence.
- The redesigned rear bumper features a lower center of gravity than the previous design, created by a sculptured lower portion and extended length. Underfloor cooling performance is enhanced with air resistance reduced by extending a rear diffuser.
- Cooling performance for the muffler is improved and rear downforce is increased by about 10% through use of a new rear bumper air outlet, which helps remove air in the rear wheelhouses.
- A newly designed tailpipe finisher with enlarged diameter is adopted. Rear high-intensity LED fog lamps are provided as standard equipment to help improve visibility from vehicles behind in rainy or snowy conditions.
- Six exterior colors are available, including two new colors: Meteo Flake Black Pearl (2P) and Aurora Flare Blue Pearl (2P). (Both are special colors.)
- A newly shaped instrument panel pad and navigation system display finisher are adopted, with stitch lines changed to express an enhanced quality feel.
- Real carbon center cluster finisher is used, along with matte black finished switches.
- The GT-R emblem at the center of the steering wheel has a new velour-like coating, expressing a glossy texture. For the paddle shift, a coating exposing the magnesium base material is applied.
- Chrome-plated rings in the console and air-conditioner outlets are finished with a new black smoky coating, expressing greater sportiness.
- Seats for Pure edition and Premium edition provide an improved level of comfort and safety while cornering. In addition, fatigue levels are reduced for the thighs and lower back by changing the shape, extending the length of seating surface and refurbishing the cushion stroke. A new seatback design seatback is adopted to improve fit.
- The Black edition has leather-appointed bucket seats using a Recaro design based on the structure of Pure edition and Premium edition seats.
SpecV Modifications applicable only to the SpecV are as follows:
- Engine modifications are the same as the base model with improved maximum power output and torque, as well as enhanced fuel economy, except maximum torque is improved to 612N・m(62.5kgf・m)/ 3,200～6,000rpm (632N・m(64.5kgf・m)/ 3,600～5,600rpm). (Figures in parenthesis are when high geared boost is used.)
- To improve abrasion resistance and stability in racing circuit driving, rear brake pad material is changed and VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) balance under braking is modified.
- Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX GT 600 DSST CTT tire is adopted as a standard feature.
- Special Rays lightweight aluminum forging wheels for the SpecV are adopted from the previous model with the color changed to Metallic Black.
Club Track edition The Club Track edition, developed exclusively for racing circuit use, allows drivers to experience the full performance potential of the Nissan GT-R. Special parts for racing circuit driving are installed by the Authorised Servicefactory Association, which is also in charge of the distribution. A wide range of events and activities for Club Track edition owners will be held as well, including one-on-one competition training sessions given by professional drivers and special races organized mainly by the Nissan GT-R Authorised Servicefactory Association.
For inquiries about distribution and events for Club Track edition: Nissan GT-R Authorised Servicefactory
|NISMO Omori Factory:||2-10-6 Minami-Oi, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo TEL: 03-3763-3120|
|Nova Engineering:||220-1 Omika, Oyama-cho, Sunto-Gun, Shizuoka TEL: 0550-78-0329|
|NordRing:||2723-8 Miyadera, Iruma-shi, Saitama TEL: 04-2935-2135|
EGOIST EGOIST is the first and only Nissan GT-R in the world exclusively created by Takumi, or “master with greatest skills.” Each customer can choose a combination of interior colors among 20 choices. In addition, the Bose® sound system is exclusively tuned according to the driving position of each driver to meet every customer’s needs. This is the ultimate expression of the Nissan GT-R.
Interior Customers can choose a combination of interior colors among 20 choices, four upper area interior colors and 10 lower area interior colors. Interior parts are sent to Seton Company, Inc. Muelheim an der Ruhr in Germany and leather master craftsmen sew and stick carefully selected leather by hand.
Seats Seats are an exclusive quilted design with single and double stitching combined in a reticular pattern. Enhanced body grip performance (suitable for racing circuit driving), smoothness and fit are all provided.
Wajima Lacquer (Maki-e) Emblem Wajima Maki-e with deep coloring and glaze created by Mr. Sakae Kubota, an accredited traditional craftsman for Japanese lacquer, is used for the GT-R emblem at the center of the steering wheel. The beautiful coloring of Maki-e changes as time goes by.
Bose® Precision Sound System Specially developed carbon composite-based woofers, which can cancel vibrations through their high rigidity and damping, are installed. In addition, sound quality is adjusted by Bose® exclusively for each owner, depending on individual driving position.
Carbon Rear Spoiler EGOIST adopts a dry carbon rear spoiler (also used in the SpecV). Providing stable aerodynamic performance, even when driving at more than 300km/h, the rear spoiler gives an intense look in the rear with its black carbon color.
RAYS Forged Aluminum-Alloy Wheels Lightweight and highly rigid forged aluminum-alloy wheels, also used in the SpecV, reduce unsprung weight and help provide a supple ride feel. Newly developed five-layer Blue Sword Chrome Color Coating is adopted.
Titanium Exhaust System EGOIST uses a Titanium exhaust system, also used in the SpecV, providing agile accelerator response and a clear, exhilarating exhaust sound.
|4WD||VR38DETT||GT-R Pure edition||GR6-type dual clutch transmission||8,694,000|
|GT-R Black edition||9,303,000|
|GT-R Premium edition||9,450,000|
|GT-R Spec V||15,750,000|