Tips On Teaching Your Teen Safe Driving Skills
It can be a nerve-racking time when your teen wants to get behind the wheel of the car. There are things you can do to make sure your young driver is prepared before they go solo. Consider these tips when teaching your teen how to drive:
• The right way to drive: Go over all of the car’s features while driving, but make sure to do it in a safe area. For example, instruct your teen on how to properly use antilock brakes in an empty parking lot.
• Go over the risks: This is no time to be brief. Talk to your teen about the importance of yielding, slowing down in school zones and coming to a complete stop at stop signs.
• Always learning: The learning should never stop. When driving with your teen, be sure to critique their skills, even when they get their licence.
• Peer pressure: Your teen’s friend may pressure them into unsafe driving habits. Let your young driver know that they should speak up if they feel unsafe driving with a friend.
• Know your state requirements: Not all states have the same driving requirements. Go over your state’s driving requirements with your teen and the restrictions placed on their driver’s licence.
• The most important influence – you: You may not realize it, but your teen is watching you drive and is picking up on your good and bad driving habits. You should practice what you preach and set a good driving example.