2016 Camaro Revealed

The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro just debuted in Detroit during a special event at Belle Isle.

This is an all-new 2016 Camaro that heralds the nameplate’s sixth generation. It’s a new car from the ground-up based on the same Alpha platform as the Cadillac ATS and CTS built at GM’s Lansing assembly plant. By basing the new muscle car on that platform, it sheds up to 200 lbs and is significantly stiffer than the outgoing model.

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Production of the current Camaro in Oshawa, Canada, will end later this year, likely in November. The new model boasts a long list of mechanical enhancements that will make it a significantly more capable product.

SEE ALSO: GM ‘Very Confident’ 2016 Camaro is Better Than Mustang

Like the Mustang, the new Camaro will be available with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Unlike that car, the boosted four-banger is going to serve as the base powertrain, followed by the V6 as a mid-range option capped off with the V8-powered SS.

Discuss this story at our 2016 Camaro Forum

25 responses to “2016 Camaro Revealed”

1. Delcy says:

Profile is similar to the Genesis coupe.

2. laserwizard says:

What a joke! Total Recall Motors manages to not correct anything that was wrong with the current Shamaro – interior is ghastly – tacky – cheap looking and the interior, thanks to the wretched ATS platform, will be cramped.

Boring and absolutely vomit inducing roof line- the tail lights look like they were plucked from some cheap junk yard car. This is a complete and utterly joke – weird proportions and enough JC Whitney addons to the front to make it look like Rupaul.

3. DJ says:

I am highly disappointed in the interior. I was expecting seriously vastly improved interior and it is not. It is better than last generation but still ugly. Besides the new platform and new engines, it doesn’t look like much thought was put on the design of the exterior and interior.

4. danwat1234 says:

Make a plugin hybrid 4 cylinder turbo model!

5. roundthings says:

Touchscreen.
    No thanks

6. guest says:

Why? go buy a Prius if thats what you want.

7. guest says:

My guess is you don’t like it huh?

8. danwat1234 says:

Not quite fast enough but it’s not bad. Maybe a used Chevy Volt with a Chevy Cruze sway bar and good tires.
    Waiting to see the big manufactures to make somewhat affordable sport plugin hybrids. Maybe the Bolt will be quick like the Spark and i3 is.

9. Jim Mc Cool says:

It’s still a Camaro. Too big for this type of GT.

10. Maximania says:

Wow, I’m actually very impressed. Those pictures yesterday left me very dispappointed, but from what I’m seeing in these official pictures, I actually really like the exterior looks. And when I saw the interior (with the older interior in mind), I was blown away. Really stunning. A little weird, but still awesome nonetheless.

Coupled with the weight-loss, the engine choices, and the endorsements for great performance… I’m very excited for the next Camaro.

11. danwat1234 says:

“less than 50% of current trade in electric/plugin owners buy a new one”
    Where did you get that information? Usually once people go electric or plugin hybrid they stay with it because they like how it drives but that’s just my opinion.
    And electric vehicles is not a fad, it’s only expanding. You’ll see Bentley, Jaguar with electric cars, Subaru. pickup trucks. It’s just going to expand it’s not going to go away.
    1. Is the 2025 MPG requirement (and beyond) and also carbon credits.
    Also companies promoting their green image and *some* consumers desiring these vehicles, more as consumers test drive them.

I agree the Camaro, Mustang, Charger won’t be electric in any way for a long time. Eventually I wouldn’t be surprised to see an option for that, like hybrid atkinson cycle turbo4, turbo4, turbo 6 cylinder.
    Auto start/stop mode where the engine stops, will come before that. Like what Porsche does with it’s 911 boxster now.

12. Rickers says:

So, you still can’t see out of it.

13. Felix James says:

Hey look. It’s a new Mustang.

14. guest says:

Sorry I just read that from one of the auto research survey groups yesterday but trash canned it. The low cost of fossil fuel has cut into the demand for electric cars so much battery companies are closing.The false demand by the government rebates plus the cafe standards which IMHO will not stand is dying. Wind solar and renewable energy costs are so much more than natural gas and petroleum they will slow to a crawl. If I can find the article again I will respond but I didn’t pull those facts out of my arrs like so many on this site.

15. The_Fast_and_Furious_Gunrunner says:

So will we be able to see out of the damn thing?

16. lola says:

< w­­ww.­­­­JobsHoney­­.­­Co­­m

17. Billy Cypher says:

Yeah, it’s still overweight in my opinion. But 200 lbs lighter is a step in the right direction.

If it were up to me, the Camaro would be 3,000 lbs or less and the exterior dimensions would be 30% smaller than the current model.

18. Jim Mc Cool says:

You got that 100% correct.

19. pywaket_1 says:

To pick a small nit, this isn’t the first time a turbo has been available. The 3rd generation Trans-Camaro had a turbo in it.

20. locstar says:

Idk where on earth you live where corrolas look like that..?

21. locstar says:

Not Sure i see the similarity?

22. Mark S says:

Nice evolution of the model – minor but welcome exterior changes, great interior changes, weight loss, more rigidity, magnetic ride and the 6.2l LT1…….if this handles close to the 1LE, looking at a great car.

23. ARC1111 says:

CALM DOWN! Camry/Corolla/Toyota/Shamota, POINT is it is ugly and looks like a half DOZEN other models ALREADY out there, got it?

24. locstar says:

No not really actually this looks nothing like the images above.. So no i don’t “got it”.

25. locstar says:

Not really.. it looks like nothing toyota makes… im not saying im in love with the design but in no way shape form or fashion does it look like a toyota… got it?

WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com