If you’re a Hyundai owner, you may be curious about how to save on your annual Hyundai maintenance cost. Hyundai maintenance plans and extended auto warranties can help make Hyundai maintenance costs more affordable and keep your vehicle running in peak condition.
In this article, discover what goes into the Hyundai maintenance cost, learn more about Hyundai maintenance plan options, and get our recommendations for the best extended auto warranty for your Hyundai.
To learn more about our editorial integrity policy and how we make money through affiliate partnerships, read our full disclosure here.
Table of contents
Hyundai Maintenance Cost
On average, the Hyundai maintenance cost is $468 per year for scheduled maintenance and common repairs, according to RepairPal. This cost will vary depending on the age, model, and mileage of your Hyundai.
Are Hyundais Reliable Vehicles?
Hyundai ranks fourth out of 32 car brands in RepairPal’s 2019 Reliability Ratings, receiving a 4.0 out of 5.0 reliability score.
There are three categories that RepairPal uses to determine its reliability ratings: annual repair costs, how frequently owners report taking their Hyundai in for repairs each year, and the likelihood that repairs will be severe. “Severe” means that the repair will cost at least three times the annual repair cost across all models.
See below for a breakdown of Hyundai maintenance costs and reliability ratings, as determined by RepairPal:
|Reliability Factor||Hyundai||Industry Average|
|Annual Cost of Repairs||$468||$652|
|Frequency of Trips to Repair Shop||0.27 per year||0.40 per year|
|Likelihood of Severe Repairs||10 percent||12 percent|
As you can see, the Hyundai maintenance cost is less expensive than the average across all car brands. The frequency of repairs for Hyundai cars is also less than other brands, and Hyundais are two percent less likely than average to need a severe repair.
What Does a Hyundai Maintenance Plan Cover?
Hyundai provides drivers with a factory-recommended maintenance schedule to keep vehicles in top working condition year after year. While the details of each maintenance plan vary by model, in general Hyundai recommends customers keep up to date with services like:
- Tire rotations
- Oil changes
- Multi-point inspections
- Air filter and oil filter changes
- Coolant, spark plug, and hybrid starter generator (HSG) belt replacements
- Transmission fluid replacements
- Differential oil replacements
Pre-Paid Hyundai Maintenance Plan
Purchasing a Hyundai Pre-Paid Maintenance plan could help make your Hyundai maintenance cost more affordable. These plans come in three coverage levels: Pre-Paid Maintenance, Pre-Paid Maintenance with Tire Rotation, and Pre-Paid Scheduled Maintenance.
Here is a breakdown of Hyundai maintenance plan coverage levels:
|Routine Maintenance Service||Hyundai Pre-Paid Maintenance||Hyundai Pre-Paid Maintenance
with Tire Rotation
|Hyundai Pre-Paid Scheduled Maintenance|
|Oil Filter Change||✓||✓||✓|
Air Filter Replacement
|Air Cleaner Filter Replacement||✓|
|Spark Plug Replacement||✓|
|HSG Belt Replacement||✓|
|Transmission Fluid Change||✓|
|Differential Oil Change||✓|
Under each plan, services will be performed at a dealership by factory-trained technicians. You can take your vehicle to any Hyundai dealer nationwide for maintenance service.
Hyundai does not share cost information about these plans on its website. To see if your vehicle qualifies for Hyundai maintenance plan coverage, call your local dealership. If you purchase a plan and sell your vehicle before your coverage expires, it can be transferred to the next owner.
Complimentary Hyundai Maintenance Plan
Hyundai offers Complimentary Maintenance for all 2020 and newer vehicles. It covers normal factory-scheduled maintenance for 3 years or 36,000 miles. Covered services include:
- Engine oil and oil filter changes
- Tire rotations
- Multi-point inspections
These services can be completed at any Hyundai dealership. Vehicles made before 2020 do not qualify for Hyundai Complimentary Maintenance coverage.
Extended Car Warranties and Hyundai Maintenance Cost
While Hyundai maintenance plans help make routine services more affordable, they don’t help with the other aspect of the Hyundai maintenance cost: unexpected mechanical repairs.
An extended car warranty protects you from having to pay repair costs out of pocket when you experience a mechanical breakdown. These plans don’t cover routine maintenance, but it’s important to follow your manufacturer’s recommended service schedule to keep your warranty valid.
Hyundai Extended Warranty vs. Third-Party Extended Warranty
If you’re interested in a vehicle service contract, you have two options: Purchase a Hyundai extended warranty from the dealer or go with a third-party warranty company.
An extended warranty from Hyundai will most likely cost more, but it will be more tailored to the unique needs of Hyundai vehicles and repairs will always be made at the dealership by factory-trained technicians.
An extended warranty from a third-party provider will likely cost less, cover your vehicle for a longer period of time, allow you to have your vehicle repaired at any licensed facility or dealership, and provide more comprehensive coverage than a factory warranty.
Hyundai Extended Warranty Recommendations
If you’re interested in getting an extended car warranty to help bring down your Hyundai maintenance costs, make sure you look into a few of the most reputable extended car warranty companies, like Endurance and CARCHEX.
In our comprehensive extended warranty review, these providers came out on top because of their high-quality coverage and customer review scores, among other factors.
#1 Endurance: Best Coverage
We rated Endurance as the overall best provider because of its high coverage limits, extensive benefits, and favorable customer reviews. The company offers six distinct levels of coverage:
- Supreme: Bumper-to-bumper exclusionary coverage
- Superior: Comprehensive stated-component coverage
- Secure Plus: Enhanced powertrain coverage
- Secure: Affordable powertrain coverage
- Select Premier: Coverage designed for high-mileage cars
- EnduranceAdvantage™: Covers mechanical breakdowns as well as maintenance
Along with high-quality coverage, Endurance offers the most comprehensive benefits on the market. Through the Endurance Elite Benefits program, drivers get perks like:
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Tire repairs and replacements
- Key fob replacement
- Total loss protection
- Collision discount
- Endurance mobile app
Read our comprehensive Endurance warranty review for more information.
Endurance is our pick for best direct provider with its comprehensive coverage options.
#2 CARCHEX: Best For Used Cars
CARCHEX has a strong reputation among experts in the extended warranty industry like CARFAX, Edmunds.com, and Kelley Blue Book. CARCHEX also won the Better Business Bureau Greater Maryland Torch Award for Marketplace Excellence in 2012.
Through CARCHEX, you have access to five levels of vehicle protection:
- Titanium: Exclusionary coverage, similar to a bumper-to-bumper warranty
- Platinum: Comprehensive stated-component coverage
- Gold: Mid-tier stated-component coverage
- Silver: Enhanced powertrain coverage
- Bronze: Basic powertrain coverage
Some benefits that come along with every CARCHEX extended car warranty plan include:
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Towing reimbursement
- Rental car reimbursement
- Trip interruption coverage
Learn more about coverage in our complete CARCHEX review.
Our review team prides itself on sharing accurate and unbiased information with consumers. We have accumulated data from dozens of extended auto warranty companies to formulate our rankings of the industry’s best providers. Companies receive a score out of 5.0 overall, as well as a rating in each of the following categories:
- Price: Comparing providers can be difficult due to the many factors that influence cost. To determine this score, we employ a secret shopper analysis using different vehicles, mileages, warranty plans, and locations.
- Coverage: A wide variety of coverage is essential to support the differing needs of customers. We take into account the number of extended car warranty plans available, term limits, exclusions, and additional benefits.
- Customer Service: The level of customer service and care provided by an extended warranty company is an important consideration. Our review team sifts through customer reviews and complaints from reputable sources such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot. We also consider the responsiveness of each company’s customer service team based on our secret shopper analysis.
- Reputation: Good extended warranty providers consistently provide quality experiences. Our team takes into account BBB ratings and the company’s history of reliable service when giving this score.
- Transparency: Customers value a commitment to open and honest communication when it comes to vehicle service contracts. Our team of experts takes into account the availability of money-back guarantees and sample contracts.