Purchasing an extended warranty for a new or used vehicle can be a wise investment—if you get coverage from a reliable provider. Safe-Guard auto warranties are available through a network of dealerships. These policies promise to keep your vehicle running for longer, but are they worth the price tag?
This article will take a closer look at Safe-Guard auto warranties, examining coverage options, customer reviews, costs, and the company’s claims process. We’ll also compare Safe-Guard against some of the best extended car warranty companies on the market.
Read on to find out more and find the right coverage for your car, and use the buttons below to start getting free quotes from our top recommended providers.
To learn more about our editorial integrity policy and how we make money through affiliate partnerships, read our full disclosure here.
Table of contents
Safe-Guard Products International is a provider of auto protection plans and is based in Atlanta, Georgia, with offices in California, Ontario, and Quebec. For the past seven years, it has sold auto warranty contracts across the US and Canada. According to the Safe-Guard website, the company has partnerships with companies like Acura, Aston Martin, Audi, BMW, and Carmax.
Safe-Guard auto warranty products include guaranteed asset protection, lease-end coverage, vehicle service protection contracts, and certified pre-owned (CPO) wrap coverage.
What Does a Safe-Guard Auto Warranty Cover?
Because Safe-Guard only sells warranties through its network of partner dealerships, there isn’t much information about coverage online. This makes it difficult to rate the quality of Safe-Guard auto products.
With most extended warranty companies, you can get a bumper-to-bumper plan, a powertrain plan, and a few mid-level plans. If a Safe-Guard auto warranty is offered to you at a dealership, be sure to thoroughly read your contract before signing on the dotted line. This way, you’ll know exactly what parts of your automotive are covered and what you’ll need to pay for out of pocket when it comes time for mechanical repairs.
Along with standard vehicle service contracts, Safe-Guard offers the following protection plans:
- Wheel and tire protection: Repairs or replaces wheels damaged by road hazards
- Lease end coverage: Pays for common lease-end damages such as chipped paint, scratches, and interior stains
- CPO: Provides extended warranty coverage for select certified pre-owned vehicles
- CPO wrap: Wraps around existing powertrain coverage to provide comprehensive protection for CPO vehicles
- Prepaid maintenance: Pays for regular services such as oil and filter changes
- Dent protection: Covers dents and dings
- Windshield protection: Covers windshield repairs
- Appearance protection: Covers interior and exterior damage
- Key protection: Pays to replace lost, stolen, or damaged keys
- Theft protection: Provides theft-deterrent and identification safety products
All plans are fully transferable and come with the following benefits:
- Roadside assistance
- Courtesy towing
- Rental car reimbursement
- Emergency travel reimbursement
How Much Does a Safe-Guard Auto Warranty Cost?
In our research, we found customers who reported paying anywhere from $1,500 to $4,000 for Safe-Guard auto warranties. Without more details, it is difficult to determine if Safe-Guard offers competitive pricing, but $4,000 would be an expensive price tag even for even a five-year, full-coverage contract.
Safe-Guard auto warranties are sold exclusively through dealerships, which means pricing is likely to vary depending on your dealer and may be negotiable. Common factors that impact the final cost of an extended car warranty include:
- Vehicle model
- Vehicle age
- Vehicle mileage
- Term length
Quotes and Claims Processes
To get a Safe-Guard auto warranty quote, you’ll need to contact a participating dealership. In the case of a cancellation after the contract has been purchased, a policyholder can receive a prorated refund.
If you already have a Safe-Guard auto contract and need to file a claim, you can do so online by visiting the company’s website, or you can speak to a service representative directly by calling this phone number—800-890-7211. A Safe-Guard customer support specialist will walk you through the claims process, which entails taking your vehicle to a certified repair shop and authorizing teardown services. After your claim is approved, Safe-Guard will pay the repair facility directly.
Safe-Guard Ratings and Reviews
Safe-Guard holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but the company has received over 160 complaints in the past three years. While this number is high, Safe-Guard has addressed nearly all of the posted complaints, and the majority have been resolved to customer satisfaction.
Despite the high BBB rating, Safe-Guard has a very low customer review score, averaging just 1.18 out of 5.00 stars based on more than 40 reviews.
Negative reviews generally focus on Safe-Guard auto claims servicing. Many customers have been upset by the number of exceptions and stipulations they see as hidden in their contracts—especially for tire, windshield, and dent protection plans. However, these surprises can be avoided by making sure you understand your contract completely before you purchase coverage.
Safe-Guard Auto Extended Warranty: 3.0 Stars
Safe-Guard offers a wide range of vehicle coverage options. Specialty packages for items not typically covered by extended warranties—such as glass and paint coverage—may be enticing. However, based on customer complaints, these contracts may have stipulations that prevent you from getting full repair coverage.
Safe-Guard auto contracts also appear to be on the expensive side. Most extended warranties provided though dealerships are more expensive than direct-to-consumer competitors, but they can often be negotiated down.
Overall, there is nothing special to recommend about Safe-Guard auto warranties, and better options are likely found elsewhere.
Top Recommendations for Extended Car Warranties
Our review team has researched the top extended warranty companies in the industry, rating each provider on factors such as price, transparency, customer reviews, and coverage. Based on this research, two of our top recommended providers are Endurance and CarShield.
Endurance: Best Coverage
Endurance provides vehicle service contracts directly to consumers. Unlike Safe-Guard auto warranties, Endurance contracts can be purchased directly from the provider. And Endurance offers sample contracts online, so it is clear upfront what is and is not covered. Endurance is accredited by the Vehicle Protection Association and is known for its reliable customer service.
Our research shows that Endurance has some of the most comprehensive coverage options on the market. Endurance’s Supreme plan provides full bumper-to-bumper coverage with few exclusions. While Endurance contracts may cost more than some other options, they offer the best protection.
All Endurance plans come with one year free of Endurance Elite Benefits. These benefits are some of the best in the industry.
Learn more about Endurance costs and coverage in our comprehensive Endurance warranty review, or get a free, personalized Endurance quote using the buttons below.
Endurance is our pick for best direct provider with its comprehensive coverage options.
CarShield: Best Value
CarShield offers six warranty plans and coverage that extends as high as 300,000 miles. We think CarShield is a good choice for high-mileage vehicles and powertrain coverage plans. Contract prices vary based on your vehicle and mileage, but quotes we received from CarShield indicate it is one of the lowest-cost providers out there.
The chart below shows some of the cost and payment options we were offered when we reached out to CarShield.
|Car Model||CarShield Warranty Plan||Term Length||Monthly Payment||Down Payment||Deductible|
|Ford Explorer||Diamond||Unlimited||$130||First payment||$100|
|Dodge Caravan||Gold||4 years/
for 18 months
|Dodge Caravan||Gold||4 years/
for 24 months
Since opening in 2005, CarShield’s administrators have paid over $1 billion in claims. We found CarShield reviews from many satisfied customers on Trustpilot and Google, indicating that the company gives top-notch service.
Learn more about CarShield extended warranties by getting a free quote for your vehicle.
Our review team prides itself on sharing accurate and unbiased information with consumers. We have accumulated data from dozens of extended auto warranty companies to formulate our rankings of the industry’s best providers. Companies receive a score out of 5.0 overall, as well as a rating in each of the following categories:
- Price: Comparing providers can be difficult due to the many factors that influence cost. To determine this score, we employ a secret shopper analysis using different vehicles, mileages, warranty plans, and locations.
- Coverage: A wide variety of coverage is essential to support the differing needs of customers. We take into account the number of extended car warranty plans available, term limits, exclusions, and additional benefits.
- Customer Service: The level of customer service and care provided by an extended warranty company is an important consideration. Our review team sifts through customer reviews and complaints from reputable sources such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot. We also consider the responsiveness of each company’s customer service team based on our secret shopper analysis.
- Reputation: Good extended warranty providers consistently provide quality experiences. Our team takes into account BBB ratings and the company’s history of reliable service when giving this score.
- Transparency: Customers value a commitment to open and honest communication when it comes to vehicle service contracts. Our team of experts takes into account the availability of money-back guarantees and sample contracts.