To learn more about our editorial integrity policy and how we make money through affiliate partnerships, read our full disclosure here.
Over the course of your vehicle’s lifetime, you will likely need to pay for multiple repairs, and a Smart AutoCare warranty could help you cover those costs. If you’re worried about paying the cost of breakdown repairs out of pocket, you should consider an extended warranty for your vehicle.
In this article, we’ll review Smart AutoCare’s coverage, costs, customer ratings, and more. However, a Smart AutoCare warranty isn’t your only option when it comes to extended vehicle protection. We recommend reading up on some of the best extended car warranty companies in the industry and comparing quotes above to find a great rate.
Table of contents
Smart AutoCare Review: 3.7 Stars
Smart AutoCare offers many standard coverage options at fair prices. All Smart AutoCare warranty plans come with helpful added benefits, and the company’s positive claims servicing history is impressive.
If you’re offered a well-priced Smart AutoCare warranty at a dealership, it may be worth it to have extra peace of mind on the road. However, you may find more flexible coverage independent of a dealership. We recommend comparing your Smart AutoCare warranty quote with other offerings before signing on the dotted line.
Smart AutoCare Warranty Highlights
Smart AutoCare has been underwriting vehicle service contracts and insurance products since 1990. The warranty and insurance company boasts a “state-of-the-art” in-house claims processing service that allows it to pay out an average of $5.5 million in claims per month.
Plus, Smart AutoCare offers eRating and eContracting services that make it easier to get accurate rates on all products that the company offers. The company sells vehicle service contracts and insurance products through dealers, so you will need to call your local car dealership to see if it sells Smart AutoCare warranties.
Smart AutoCare Warranty Coverage
Smart AutoCare warranty coverage plans come in multiple levels, from basic powertrain to exclusionary bumper-to-bumper plans. Smart AutoCare warranties can cover your vehicle up to 10 years or 125,000 miles.
Smart AutoCare Advantage Care Plan
The highest level of Smart AutoCare warranty coverage is the Advantage Care plan, which comes in four tiers:
- Advantage Care Total Exclusionary: Covers nearly all mechanical automotive components, minus a short list of exclusions.
- Advantage Care Comprehensive: Covers all components listed in lower-tier Advantage Care Powertrain+ plan, as well as sound system, hybrid systems (not including batteries), and entertainment and navigation systems
- Advantage Care Powertrain+: Covers all components listed in lower-tier Advantage Care Powertrain plan, plus the air conditioning, engine cooling system, gasoline fuel system, electrical suspension, brakes, anti-lock braking system (ABS), steering, and seals and gaskets
- Advantage Care Powertrain: Covers the engine, turbocharger/supercharger, transmission, transfer case, and drive axle
Smart AutoCare 5 Star Plan
Smart AutoCare’s 5 Star plan offers comprehensive stated-component coverage. It is specifically designed to cover major parts and components of older, high-mileage vehicles that are no longer eligible for an Advantage Care plan.
On its website, the company doesn’t provide clarity on exact age and mileage Advantage Care restrictions, so be sure to ask your local dealer about what Smart AutoCare warranty you qualify for.
The 5 Star plan covers the engine, turbocharger/supercharger, transmission, transfer case, front- and rear-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, air conditioning, engine cooling system, electrical systems, suspension, brakes, ABS, and steering.
Smart AutoCare Premier Plan
Premier coverage is similar to a powertrain warranty. This Smart AutoCare warranty has two tiers of coverage:
- Premier Plus: Covers everything listed in the lower-tier Premier plan, plus the electrical system and air conditioning
- Premier: Covers the engine, transmission, driveshaft, turbocharger/supercharger, steering, transfer case, front- and rear-wheel suspension, and seals and gaskets
Smart AutoCare Warranty Benefits
All Smart AutoCare warranty plans come with 24/7 roadside assistance that includes:
- Battery jump-starts
- Fuel, oil, and water delivery
- Lockout services
- Tire changes
- Substitute transportation
- Trip interruption coverage
All vehicle service agreements are transferable for a fee that varies depending on your contract. Finally, all Smart AutoCare warranties can be canceled easily by signing a letter and informing your dealer about the mileage on your vehicle on the date of the cancellation request.
Smart AutoCare Warranty Cost
Smart AutoCare does not make pricing available on its website. However, our research team was able to find Better Business Bureau (BBB) reviews in which drivers reported paying between $2,300 and $4,400 for a Smart AutoCare warranty.
|Vehicle||Smart AutoCare Warranty Term||Smart AutoCare Warranty Cost|
|2014 Nissan||100,000 miles||$2,950|
|2005 BMW 645Ci||5 years||$4,343|
In the broader automotive industry, the average cost of an extended car warranty is between $600 and $1,000 per year of coverage, so these prices seem fair. However, the cost of your Smart AutoCare vehicle service contract will vary depending on many factors, including:
- Your car’s age and mileage
- Your car’s make and model
- Where you purchase your warranty coverage
- What plan you choose
- What deductible you choose
When you get a Smart AutoCare warranty quote at a dealership, it’s smart to compare the price with other third-party extended warranties to be sure you’re paying fair rates for your coverage. Getting quotes from top third-party providers can be done in minutes online or over the phone, so it may be a good use of your time if you have downtime at a dealership.
Quotes and Claims Processes
You can get a quote for a Smart AutoCare warranty tailored to your car’s specific needs when you purchase your car from the dealership. Smart AutoCare plans are available for new, used, or certified pre-owned cars.
As mentioned, Smart AutoCare boasts an easy claims servicing process on its website. The company also shares its capability to pay out $5.5 million per month, which bodes well for this company’s financial strength. However, there’s no external evidence to back up this claim.
Smart AutoCare Warranty Reviews and Ratings
Smart AutoCare has earned an A+ rating from the BBB, which is a positive indication that Smart AutoCare is a reliable company that uses good business ethics. Smart AutoCare is very responsive to customer complaints and has responded to all reviews on the company’s Facebook page and BBB page.
Positive Facebook reviews focus on quick claims processing and fair customer service when customers do not understand their contracts or feel that their coverage is insufficient. Customers even report being contacted by the vice president of Smart AutoCare to help troubleshoot their claims processing issues.
Negative Facebook reviews report long wait times to speak to customer service representatives and slow claims payout processes. All reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, but they may give you insight into how current customers value their Smart AutoCare warranties.
Top Recommendations for Extended Car Warranties
When shopping for an extended car warranty, it’s always a good idea to compare quotes from multiple companies to make sure you’re getting the best deal. After you get a Smart AutoCare quote at the dealership, we recommend looking into the cost and coverage of extended warranties from Endurance and CarShield as well.
Our review team has examined every major auto warranty provider, rating each company based on its costs, plan options, customer reviews, and more. Endurance and CarShield are two companies that stood out in terms of coverage and pricing.
Endurance: Best Coverage
In our comprehensive warranty industry analysis, Endurance scored the highest out of any provider thanks to its high-quality coverage and market-leading benefits package.
Endurance coverage comes in six tiers:
- Supreme: Exclusionary bumper-to-bumper coverage
- Superior: Comprehensive stated-component coverage
- Secure Plus: Enhanced powertrain coverage
- Secure: Affordable basic powertrain coverage
- Select Premier: Specialty coverage for high-mileage vehicles
- EnduranceAdvantageTM: Combines coverage for mechanical breakdowns and routine maintenance services
Perks that come with every Endurance extended warranty include one year free of Elite Benefits, which includes:
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Key fob replacement
- Total loss protection
- Up to two tire replacements or repairs per year
- Collision discount
- Endurance mobile app
To see how much an Endurance auto warranty would cost for your vehicle, get a free quote below.
Our rating: 4.6 out of 5.0
Endurance is our pick for best coverage with its comprehensive warranty options.
CarShield: Best Value
CarShield is a popular extended car warranty company that offers month-to-month contracts for drivers on a budget. It ranks third on our list of top extended car warranty providers.
CarShield extended car warranties come in five different coverage levels:
- Diamond: Bumper-to-bumper coverage
- Platinum: Comprehensive coverage for high-mileage vehicles
- Gold: Enhanced powertrain coverage for major car parts
- Silver: Basic powertrain coverage
- Aluminum: Specialty coverage for electrical components
All extended car warranties from CarShield include the following benefits, which could come in handy in the event of a breakdown:
- Roadside assistance
- Courtesy towing
- Rental car reimbursement
Learn more about this provider in our comprehensive CarShield review, or get a personalized quote by clicking below.
Our review team prides itself on sharing accurate and unbiased information with consumers. We have accumulated data from dozens of extended auto warranty companies to formulate our rankings of the industry’s best providers. Companies receive a score out of 5.0 overall, as well as a rating in each of the following categories:
- Price: Comparing providers can be difficult due to the many factors that influence cost. To determine this score, we employ a secret shopper analysis using different vehicles, mileages, warranty plans, and locations.
- Coverage: A wide variety of coverage is essential to support the differing needs of customers. We take into account the number of extended car warranty plans available, term limits, exclusions, and additional benefits.
- Customer Service: The level of customer service and care provided by an extended warranty company is an important consideration. Our review team sifts through customer reviews and complaints from reputable sources such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot. We also consider the responsiveness of each company’s customer service team based on our secret shopper analysis.
- Reputation: Good extended warranty providers consistently provide quality experiences. Our team takes into account BBB ratings and the company’s history of reliable service when giving this score.
- Transparency: Customers value a commitment to open and honest communication when it comes to vehicle service contracts. Our team of experts takes into account the availability of money-back guarantees and sample contracts.