ToyotaCare is a maintenance plan that comes with new Toyota vehicles and covers the cost of scheduled service for 2 years/25,000 miles. If you purchase ToyotaCare Plus, your maintenance coverage can be extended up to 4 years/45,000 miles.
ToyotaCare coverage can help make the cost of Toyota maintenance more affordable, as could a vehicle service contract from one of the best extended car warranty companies on the market. Learn more about ToyotaCare and your extended car warranty options in this review.
To go ahead and get free quotes for extended coverage, use the buttons below.
To learn more about our editorial integrity policy and how we make money through affiliate partnerships, read our full disclosure here.
Table of contents
What Is a ToyotaCare Maintenance Plan?
ToyotaCare is a maintenance plan that covers for the cost of Toyota’s scheduled services as outlined in your owner’s manual. It also includes roadside assistance. ToyotaCare is included for 2 years/25,000 miles for all new Toyotas.
With ToyotaCare, Toyota owners receive scheduled maintenance reminders and can bring their vehicle into the dealership for the following complimentary services:
- Engine oil and filter changes
- Tire rotations
- Multi-point inspections
- Fluid level inspections and adjustments
Under ToyotaCare, all maintenance services are performed by Toyota-trained technicians using genuine Toyota parts.
The roadside assistance benefit that comes with ToyotaCare lasts for 2 years and unlimited miles. It covers services such as:
- Battery jump-starts
- Lockout services
- Emergency fuel deliveries
- Tire services
- Towing and winching
Toyota Recommended Service Schedule
Specific recommended services will vary depending on your model, but Toyota’s general maintenance guide is as follows:
|Timing of Service||Scheduled Maintenance Service|
|Every 6 months or 5,000 miles||Tire rotation, multi-point inspection,
fluid level inspection and adjustment
|Every 12 months or 10,000 miles||Engine oil and filter change, tire rotation, multi-point inspection, fluid level inspection and adjustment|
Can You Extend ToyotaCare?
If you want to extend your ToyotaCare coverage, you can purchase ToyotaCare Plus or Toyota Service Care.
ToyotaCare Plus is for vehicles that have less than 31,000 miles and are within 37 months of their in-service date. This plan can extend your ToyotaCare coverage up to 4 years/45,000 miles. It also comes with 4 years/unlimited miles of roadside assistance. According to one Toyota dealership, ToyotaCare Plus costs $329, but this price may vary for your vehicle.
If you sell your vehicle while ToyotaCare Plus coverage is active, your plan can be transferred to the vehicle’s new owner for a $50 fee. If you’d rather cancel your coverage, you’ll need to contact your selling dealership.
Toyota Service Care is a prepaid maintenance plan that can be purchased at any time in your vehicle’s life. It lasts for 2 years/unlimited miles and includes the same coverages as ToyotaCare, including roadside assistance.
Benefits of an Extended Warranty
The ToyotaCare plan covers scheduled maintenance, but it does not cover any vehicle repairs. New Toyota vehicles come with a number of factory warranties that cover mechanical repairs, the most valuable of which are a 3-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and a 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty. These terms are short compared to some other new car warranties, so you may benefit from extended coverage.
When it comes to purchasing an extended car warranty, you have two options: Invest in a protection plan from the manufacturer or choose a third-party vehicle service contract. It’s important to note that keeping up with your Toyota recommended maintenance schedule will likely be a requirement to keep your extended car warranty coverage valid.
Toyota offers three extended warranty options: a bumper-to-bumper plan, a mid-level plan, and a basic powertrain plan. Along with ToyotaCare, a Toyota extended warranty might be right for you if:
- You want coverage that is customized to the needs of Toyotas.
- You want original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts.
- You don’t mind bringing your car to the dealership for covered repairs.
An aftermarket car warranty might be a better choice if:
- You’re looking for vehicle protection on a budget.
- Your original Toyota warranty has expired, so you’re ineligible for Toyota extended coverage.
- You want longer coverage terms.
- You want the option to have repairs made at a dealership or at any other repair shop certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE®).
Our Top Recommendations for Toyota Extended Warranties
Purchasing a third-party extended car warranty for your Toyota can provide peace of mind on the road. Our review team has evaluated every major vehicle service contract provider, rating companies based on coverage options, pricing, customer reviews, and other factors. Once you’ve made a decision about ToyotaCare, read more about two of the industry’s best extended warranty providers below.
Endurance: Best Coverage
Endurance is one of the industry’s leading providers of car warranties. With a 4.5-star customer service rating and a 4.9-star coverage rating from our review team, this company has kept customers happy since 2006.
Endurance is one of the fastest-growing companies in the United States. Endurance grew its revenue by over 280 percent from 2015 to 2018. The auto warranty provider also earned a 2019 Stevie Award as a Great Employer for its “impressive set of employee benefits and activities.”
There are six Endurance car warranty plans that customers can choose from, listed below:
- Supreme: Bumper-to-bumper exclusionary coverage for high-tech vehicles
- Superior: Comprehensive stated-component coverage that’s best for drivers who want extensive protection but don’t need high-tech component coverage
- Secure Plus: Enhanced powertrain coverage that covers the basic vehicle components, plus a few extra systems like the air conditioning and brakes
- Secure: Affordable powertrain coverage that’s best for drivers on a budget
- Select Premier: Specialty coverage designed for high-mileage vehicles
- EnduranceAdvantage™: Covers mechanical breakdowns as well as maintenance
If you’re interested in learning what an Endurance plan would cost for your vehicle, you can get a free quote below.
Endurance is our pick for best coverage with its comprehensive warranty options.
CARCHEX: Best For Used Cars
CARCHEX has a strong reputation among experts in the extended warranty industry. It partners with prestigious companies like CARFAX, Edmunds, and Kelley Blue Book and has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
CARCHEX offers five levels of vehicle protection:
- Titanium: Exclusionary coverage, similar to bumper-to-bumper coverage
- Platinum: Comprehensive stated-component coverage
- Gold: Mid-tier coverage that’s best for vehicles with over 60,000 miles
- Silver: Enhanced powertrain coverage
- Bronze: Basic powertrain coverage
Benefits that come with every CARCHEX extended car warranty plan include:
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Rental car reimbursement
- Trip interruption coverage
Learn more in our complete CARCHEX review, and get a free quote from CARCHEX to see how much you would pay for your Toyota.
Protect My Car: Best Financing
Protect My Car offers some of the most budget-friendly warranties on the market, which is just one reason Protect My Car reviews show high levels of customer satisfaction. The company offers three automotive plans at affordable rates:
- Supreme: Similar to a manufacturer’s warranty
- Select: Designed for vehicles with 50,000+ miles
- Driveline: For vehicles 4-10 years old and over 80,000 miles
Protect My Car was established in 2005 in Saint Petersburg, Florida. Benefits that come with all Protect My Car extended warranties include:
- 24-hour roadside assistance
- Lockout services
- Fuel delivery services
Find out what a Protect My Car warranty would cost for your vehicle below.
Our review team prides itself on sharing accurate and unbiased information with consumers. We have accumulated data from dozens of extended auto warranty companies to formulate our rankings of the industry’s best providers. Companies receive a score out of 5.0 overall, as well as a rating in each of the following categories:
- Price: Comparing providers can be difficult due to the many factors that influence cost. To determine this score, we employ a secret shopper analysis using different vehicles, mileages, warranty plans, and locations.
- Coverage: A wide variety of coverage is essential to support the differing needs of customers. We take into account the number of extended car warranty plans available, term limits, exclusions, and additional benefits.
- Customer Service: The level of customer service and care provided by an extended warranty company is an important consideration. Our review team sifts through customer reviews and complaints from reputable sources such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot. We also consider the responsiveness of each company’s customer service team based on our secret shopper analysis.
- Reputation: Good extended warranty providers consistently provide quality experiences. Our team takes into account BBB ratings and the company’s history of reliable service when giving this score.
- Transparency: Customers value a commitment to open and honest communication when it comes to vehicle service contracts. Our team of experts takes into account the availability of money-back guarantees and sample contracts.