To learn more about our editorial integrity policy and how we make money through affiliate partnerships, read our full disclosure here.
Over the last several years, car shipper AmeriFreight has become one of the largest auto transport brokers in the industry, partnering with more than 10,000 car carriers around the country. Our team carefully examined AmeriFreight reviews online, along with the company’s costs, services, and benefits, to see how it compares to other car shipping businesses.
The Atlanta-based provider stands as one of the industry’s best car shipping companies due to the high volume of positive AmeriFreight reviews and its wide range of services at relatively affordable rates. Read on to learn whether AmeriFreight is the best choice for you and make sure to compare car shipping quotes online from multiple providers.
Table of contents
AmeriFreight Rating: 4.5 Stars
AmeriFreight has one of the most diverse service portfolios in the industry and a positive reputation among customers. Because there are so few negative AmeriFreight reviews, we give the auto shipping broker 4.5 out of 5.0 stars and name it one of the best auto transport companies of 2022. We also call AmeriFreight the shipping provider with the Best Discounts.
Headquarters: Peachtree City, Georgia
Availability: All 50 states, including Alaska and Hawaii
AmeriFreight carefully vets each of its partner carriers to ensure that all drivers receive a quality shipping experience. The transport broker won’t continue to work with carriers that frequently receive complaints or fail to satisfy its car shipping standards.
AmeriFreight reviews often mention its various discount programs. With savings available for active duty military members, first responders, medical personnel, and more, many kinds of people can reduce their car shipping costs.
How Popular Is AmeriFreight?
In our 2021 survey of 1,000 auto shipping customers, we found that just over 11 percent used AmeriFreight to transport their vehicles. That makes it a relatively popular car shipping company among shoppers. Below, we’ve listed out the results from our survey:
While there are more popular vehicle transport providers on the market, plenty of motorists trust AmeriFreight with their deliveries. Looking at AmeriFreight reviews, it’s relatively easy to understand why.
AmeriFreight car shipping rates vary from around $3 per mile for short-distance deliveries to 50 cents per mile for cross-country or long-distance shipping such as New York to Florida. Based on our research, using AmeriFreight to ship an average midsize sedan can cost between $400 and $1,200.
AmeriFreight Sample Rates
We reached out to AmeriFreight for a more precise idea of how much it costs to ship a car with the transport broker. For our research, we asked for a quote to ship a 2018 Toyota RAV4 on a 1,556-mile trip from Los Angeles to Houston. Here are the initial quotes we received:
|Shipping Service||Number of Days||AmeriFreight Cost|
|Economy||1 to 7||$745|
|Priority||1 to 4||$1,200|
|First Class||1 to 2||$1,475|
Based on these quotes and industry research, few auto transport companies can beat AmeriFreight’s lowest rates. However, some customers say it’s difficult to find carriers that offer economy-level service. Compared to other shippers, AmeriFreight’s priority and first-class rates are about average.
If you’d like to find out how much you could pay for car shipping with AmeriFreight, use the company’s rate calculator or call to determine your best price. While this initial number may be different than the one you find when you sign the bill of lading, it’s a pretty decent estimate.
What Factors Affect Car Shipping Costs?
The variation in shipping prices mentioned in AmeriFreight reviews comes as a result of factors affecting auto transport costs. Here are the most important pieces to consider when it comes to shipping rates:
- Distance: The total cost of shipping a car is higher with a longer distance. However, per-mile rates go down with AmeriFreight as the distance goes up.
- Type of shipping: AmeriFreight offers standard open shipping where your car is transported uncovered and gets exposed to road hazards and weather conditions. The company also offers enclosed transport which is much safer for your car but costs up to 80 percent more.
- Vehicle condition: Vehicles without operability cost more to ship than those that are drivable.
- Vehicle size: In general, smaller vehicles cost less to ship. Shipping for vehicles such as SUVs, vans, and trucks will be priced higher.
- Priority: AmeriFreight offers expedited shipping, allowing you to get your car faster. However, this tends to raise your shipping cost substantially.
- Time of year: Auto shipping rates typically peak in January and during the summer. Other times of year are somewhat cheaper for car shipping, according to AmeriFreight reviews.
- Fuel prices: If gas is expensive when you’re trying to ship a vehicle, expect your delivery to cost a considerable amount.
The simplest way to determine your auto transport costs comes by getting free quotes from AmeriFreight and other car shippers. Then, you’ll be able to compare rates to find the option that best suits your needs.
One of the attractions that customers routinely mention in AmeriFreight reviews is the company’s discount program. Here’s how much customers can see their shipments marked down when booking car transport services:
- Active-duty military: $35 off
- First responders: $35 off
- Medical personnel: $35 off
- Students: $25 off
- Senior citizens: $25 off
- Return customers: $50 off
- Multiple vehicles: $50 off every additional vehicle
- Early Bird: $35 off if you sign up within 48 hours of receiving a quote
You can combine the early bird discount with other discounts, but otherwise, you can only apply one type of discount per transaction. These discounts may not show up in your instant quote, so reach out to an AmeriFreight representative about discounts you may qualify for.
AmeriFreight Price Matching
While AmeriFreight reviews mention the company’s competitive shipping rates, you may not always receive the industry’s lowest price from the start. However, AmeriFreight offers a price-matching guarantee that means the shipper will match the price of any auto transport company with an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and above-average customer reviews.
How Much Does It Cost To Ship A Car?
Drivers typically spend between $1,000 and $2,000 to ship their vehicles, though costs largely depend on distances and shipping styles. Below, we’ve listed out data from our 2021 car shipping survey to reveal the industry’s average rates:
According to AmeriFreight reviews, you’ll likely find reasonable rates from the company. If your car shipping quote ends up on the higher side, though, it may be smart to look elsewhere. It’s always smart to compare auto shipping quotes from multiple providers before selecting one, as it could lead to a lower rate.
Among auto shipping companies, AmeriFreight offers an extremely comprehensive range of services. In other words, the broker has auto transport services that can meet the needs of almost anyone.
Shipping options often mentioned in AmeriFreight reviews include:
- Door-to-door shipping: This option allows you to have your vehicle picked up and dropped off at a delivery location of your choice. While this method adds more peace of mind than shipping to a terminal, it’s also much more expensive.
- Terminal-to-terminal shipping: While this is the cheaper way to pick up and drop off a vehicle, it can be a hassle to leave your car at one centralized location and pick it up at another.
- Expedited shipping: If you need your car to arrive soon, AmeriFreight can expedite your auto transport delivery. However, this comes with an additional $75 to $150 fee.
- Alternative vehicle shipping: If you need to ship a vehicle other than a car, AmeriFreight can usually accommodate. The broker oversees shipments of RVs, motorcycles, ATVs, SUVs, boats, and almost anything else that can take you from one place to another.
- Car shipping to Hawaii and Alaska: If you’re heading to the Aloha State or the Last Frontier, AmeriFreight can still cover your auto shipping needs.
Unless you’re planning on shipping your car internationally, AmeriFreight can likely meet your auto transport needs. The company’s various options make it simple to move your car from place to place.
Types of Vehicles AmeriFreight Can Move
Most common types of vehicles can easily be transported by AmeriFreight. If you’re wondering about your specific car shipment, consider whether your vehicle fits into the categories below.
- Standard cars and trucks
- Most luxury vehicles
- Classic cars
- RVs and trailers
You may want to reach out to AmeriFreight if you’re hoping to move an ATV or another type of vehicle. While the auto transport provider may not be able to fulfill your request, it’s at least worth checking.
AmeriFreight Insurance Coverage
AmeriFreight guarantees all of its carriers are fully insured, so your car should be safe throughout the transport process. Most AmeriFreight reviews that mention vehicle damage speak positively of the company’s cargo insurance offerings.
Remember, though, that your vehicle won’t be covered under all situations. Typical shipping insurance won’t cover damages that occur during your vehicle’s storage, parking process, or the period when it’s being loaded or unloaded. That’s when drivers should consider adding AFta Total Assurance gap coverage.
AFta Total Assurance Gap Insurance
If you have car insurance on your vehicle, AFta Total Assurance will cover up to $2,000 of the deductible for damages that occur during these specific situations. For AFta Total Assurance to apply, you must report damages within 48 hours of your vehicle’s delivery.
While most drivers opt not to choose the gap coverage of AFta Total Assurance, it’s the best option if you want to ensure your car is safe throughout the shipping process. AmeriFreight reviews also say AFta Total Assurance is the only gap protection plan available across the industry.
Positive AmeriFreight reviews far outnumber negative AmeriFreight reviews. The company has a 4.7-star rating out of 5.0 on Google based on more than 3,200 AmeriFreight reviews. Customer satisfaction is also high on the BBB website, where the shipping broker boasts 4.9 out of 5.0 stars averaged from more than 1,000 AmeriFreight reviews. The BBB itself gives AmeriFreight an A+ rating along with accreditation.
Positive AmeriFreight Reviews
Positive AmeriFreight reviews show that customers appreciate the auto transport broker’s strong communication and straightforward shipping process.
“The AmeriFreight process for scheduling a pickup went very smoothly. A carrier was assigned within a day, and the facilitation and documentation were easy to manage and understand. My carrier . . . communicated their status throughout their transport.”
– A. Angeli via Google
“I received a bid within the time frame AmeriFreight gave me. It was about the price I expected to pay, and the carrier delivered my vehicle two days earlier than expected, which was great! I would definitely use them again and would highly recommend them to everyone!”
– Rose S. via BBB
Negative AmeriFreight Reviews
While relatively few customers complain in reviews about AmeriFreight, some of the negative AmeriFreight reviews that do exist mention issues with specific drivers and quoted prices changing over time.
“AmeriFreight quoted me less than $1,100 to ship my car from California to Massachusetts. After a week of trying to find a company that would take the job, they came back with a quote of around $1,700, including insurance.”
– David M. via Google
“The customer service was good. The companies they recommended for transport . . . were a real problem to deal with. It was very difficult to coordinate or handle issues with damage.”
– Rashmi D. via Google
Is It Worth It To Ship A Car?
Drivers regularly wonder whether it’s better to ship a car or drive it themselves. It’s understandable the customers are a bit confused about the value of auto transport, as it’s somewhat tricky for first-timers to figure out.
Our 2021 auto transport survey showed that most motorists were satisfied with their decision to ship a vehicle. Positive AmeriFreight reviews back up our findings and show that for many drivers, it is worth it to ship a car. Below is some customer satisfaction data from our survey:
The large majority of drivers were satisfied with the car shipping process, and AmeriFreight reviews reveal that its customers will likely respond the same way.
How To Contact AmeriFreight
AmeriFreight reviews mention that it’s easy to get in contact with the shipping provider. Call the company’s main phone number at 770-486-1010 if you’ve got questions about your vehicle delivery or the overall auto transport process.
The business hours for AmeriFreight are the following:
- Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Saturday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Closed on Sunday
All of these hours are based on Eastern Time. It’s also possible to reach out to AmeriFreight via live chat on the company’s website, amerifreight.net.
Best Car Shipping Companies
We believe AmeriFreight is a solid option for auto transport, based on its numerous shipping methods, discounts, and other perks. However, we recommend sourcing no-obligation, free quotes from vehicle transport companies and comparing them before making a purchase. Here are two of our other top choices for car shipping:
Montway Auto Transport: 4.6 Stars
After reviewing the best car shipping companies, we put Montway Auto Transport at the top of our list as the Best Overall transport provider. The company receives 4.6 out of 5.0 stars since Montway Auto Transport reviews are overwhelmingly positive and the BBB gives Montway an A+ rating and accreditation.
After shipping more than 140,000 vehicles in 2020, Montway landed on the 2021 Inc. 5000 list, which ranks the country’s fastest-growing private companies by revenue over three years. With relatively affordable car shipping rates, 24/7 customer support, and shipping availability nationwide and internationally, Montway Auto Transport deserves a look from almost anyone needing vehicle transport.
Easy Auto Ship: 4.5 Stars
Easy Auto Ship has a reputation as a cheap car shipping company, but it’s just as well known for its benefits. These include a car wash reimbursement if your car arrives dirty, as well as rental car reimbursement if your vehicle takes more than 14 days to arrive. In our review of the best car shipping companies, these perks earned Easy Auto Ship the distinction of being the car transport company with the Best Added Benefits.
Easy Auto Ship transports cars in all 50 states and internationally, and Easy Auto Ship reviews tend to be positive. The BBB gives the company accreditation and an A+ rating, and customers on the BBB website rate Easy Auto Ship as 4.6 out of 5.0 stars. Unlike many vehicle transporters, Easy Auto Ship moves alternative vehicles such as RVs and farm equipment—another potential perk, depending on your shipping needs.
Best Added Benefits
AmeriFreight Reviews: Conclusion
We rate AmeriFreight 4.5 stars and is one of our highest-rated car shipping companies. Below are our shipping review standards and frequently asked questions about AmeriFreight:
Our Shipping Review Standards
Our review team prides itself on sharing accurate and unbiased information with consumers. We have accumulated data from dozens of car shipping companies to formulate our rankings of the industry’s best providers. Auto transporters receive a score out of 5.0 overall, as well as a rating in each of the following categories:
- Price: Comparing providers can be difficult due to the many factors that influence cost. To determine this score, we employ a secret shopper analysis using different vehicles, distances, and routes.
- Services: A wide variety of services is essential to support the differing needs of customers. We take into account the types of services available, insurance coverage, and the ability to guarantee pickup and dropoff dates. We also consider whether a car transport company is a broker or a provider.
- Customer Service: The level of customer service and care provided by a shipping company is an important consideration. Our review team sifts through customer reviews and complaints from reputable sources such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot. We also consider the responsiveness of each company’s customer service team based on our secret shopper analysis.
- Reputation: Good auto shipping providers consistently provide quality experiences. Our team takes into account BBB ratings and the company’s history of reliable service when giving this score.