2018 BMW M5 Officially Arrives with 600 HP and AWD

After numerous leaks, the 2018 BMW M5 has officially debuted.

If you’ve been following all the spy photos, teases, and leaks of the new BMW M5, there aren’t very many surprises. As expected, the sports sedan is powered by a 4.4-liter bi-turbo V8 engine delivering 600 horsepower and 553 pound-feet of torque, allowing it to go zero-to-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 3.4 seconds, on its way to an electronically limited 155-mph top speed. There will be however an optional M Driver’s Package that raises top speed to 189 mph.

It’s also the first BMW M5 to ever come standard with xDrive all-wheel drive, which BMW promises to be “the most emotionally engaging all-wheel-drive system yet to grace the high-performance segment.” By working with a central transfer case with a multi-plate clutch, the all-wheel-drive system can distribute drive fully variably between the front and rear axle as required. The Active M Differential at the rear axle also works fully variably, and has a locking effect between 0 and 100 percent.

As a result, drivers have access to five different configurations to choose from based on combinations of the DSC modes (DSC on, MDM, DSC off) and M xDrive modes (4WD, 4WD Sport, 2WD). That means owners can switch to a pure rear-wheel-drive mode.

SEE ALSO: 2018 BMW 5 Series Review

Mated to the engine is a specially tuned eight-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic. According to the German automaker, Drivelogic allows the driver to adjust the transmission’s characteristics to their personal preferences, serving up “lightning-fast shift times” for track use. Drivers can also select from three different modes for the Variable Damper Control (VDC) system: Comfort, Sport, and Sport Plus. Not surprisingly, the car’s suspension has been tuned on the world famous Nurburgring and two buttons on the steering wheel can be used to store setups combining the driver’s preference of engine, transmission, suspension, and M xDrive modes, the DSC mode and Head-Up-Display settings.

Saving weight was important in the development of the sedan, which is why the new M5 features an aluminum hood and a lightweight carbon fiber roof. Based on European specifications, the M5 weighs 4,090 pounds (1,855 kilograms).

Braking performance comes from standard M compound brakes, six-piston fixed calipers up front, and single-piston floating calipers in the rear. There are optional M carbon ceramic brakes, featuring gold-painted calipers and weigh almost 51 lbs (23 kgs) less. The sports sedan will come standard with a staggered 19-inch wheel setup, with 9.5-inch wide wheels up front and 10.5-inch wide wheels in the rear. Available as an option are larger 20-inch wheels with the same width.

Pricing for the U.S. hasn’t been announced, but in Europe it will start from €117,900 ($139,347 USD) with orders starting September 2017. BMW promises deliveries will begin next spring and the model will be offered in a special M5 First Edition that will be limited to 400 units worldwide. It will be exclusively appointed and features BMW Individual Frozen Dark Red Metallic paintwork (seen in the gallery above) and will cost an additional €19,500 ($23,046 USD) over the standard model.

Discuss this story on our BMW M5 Forum

Ray Martin says:

looks lame

Ziv Bnd says:

I agree. Kind of pedestrian. But I bet it is a TON of fun to drive!

Kryojenix says:

The M5 is supposed to look- well, not pedestrian, but it’s meant to look like a neat executive saloon that surprises with its sports handling ability. I think they’ve achieved this – just a small evolution, rather than the very loud styling of the E60 a couple of generations back.

bullmoon says:

reminds me of the e39 which was my fav iteration of M5

cohenfive says:

Vastly overpriced as the last couple of m5’s have been..and it will sink like a stone in the used market just as they have. But it looks a bit ‘tighter’ than the current one at least.

Kryojenix says:

Viva la depreciation!! And the new buyers who work soooo hard to keep their vehicles pristine to maximise resale price! =-D

Juventas Telsinskas says:

Wow its not even good looking will take a Tesla anyday over this

Kryojenix says:

You like the Tesla look?
I think they’re both just okay (alright, *very* okay).
But I wish I could get you to fight some of the guys commenting on BMW Blog – they got really snooty with me when I pointed out that the 0-60 time of the F90 is behind that of the Tesla SP100D and XP100D…

tnycman says:

two completely cars and feels, Tesla is not even close to being a sport car. and looks i doubt it Tesla looks better, beside has not updated their cars in a while now..

tnycman says:

Let me guess all of you haters comment garbage can’t afford to drive one ??

richard haynes says:

Of course. They don’t understand the beauty, logic and extraordinary amount of features that was put in to the vehicle.

Dotcom says:

Bet the stereo is still awful unless the Bower & Wilkins system is standard

Tony Flores says:

Are rod bearings going to be a maintenance item still???

DoctorFeelgoodMD says:

Good to see bi-turbo because the girl friends love to do both.

Frank Yoster says:

wow thats alotta doe!!

tnycman says:

paired with a lot of power! But yeah pretty expensive..

Frank Yoster says:

evenif i had the money i still wouldnt buy it. specially with that 2010 interior. haha

kaffekup says:

Gee, they sure out a lot of work into the design. Without the roundel, I would never have recognized it as a BMW. (eyes roll)

JJanssen says:

What is the use to own such a fine automobile in the US? You can not really make use of this finely tuned car on US roads, there are speed limits everywhere and also police sitting behind bushes to catch you. I am always highly annoyed at having to play games when I drive long distance on 95, always in fear of those guys lurking, mostly on those wide highway deviders with ample space for them to hide. In my country I can legally at least drive this car as fast as it was engineered to go…..600 hp is quite a lot, too much in the US, just to hop from one traffic light to the next!

Lee says:

The “use to own” may be a rational mystery, but the reason these performance vehicles are offered for sale in the US are to provide the appearance of “freedom”. Sheeple think they “own” something only to find out who really owns them when men with guns and tin badges stop them on the highway and byways. Sheeple think they are “free” until they fail to pay their “property taxes”. Sheeple think they are not slaves until the IRS comes calling no matter where in the world you make your living. Bread and circuses. Fitting that today is 9-11 and most of the population are still existing in Plato’s Cave.

JJanssen says:

Thank you for this interesting reply, albeit many days later. I read a lot of comments about BMW which to this German are quite interesting. I myself would not buy one, as I have two biases, never Toyota and never BMW. Toyota was a lousy experience many moons ago with engine block breakage on a brand new one which my in-laws had bought and BMW, well that is just an emotional response; no other reason. I actually myself drive an MB and a 43-yr old British TR6.

Lee says:

You are quite welcome.
BMW is, emotionally, a brand at the forefront in the US. Their experience in consumer marketing hath given the masses the likes of Performance Driving Clinics and such. Even milquetoast drivers begin to think they are Schumacher-esque thru that method. I very much miss my 1988 E28 M5 for the handling and finesse previously unseen in sedans (well, I also had an ’87 535is). If not just for the ability to brag about its 10mpg (or 23.5l/100km) thirst. Thus the BMW mystique persists with me in spite of its appeal to the unwashed masses. Admittedly these days I also drive MB (S55 + SL55 + 500E) but that is primarily because I have a Xentry DAS SDS which means I -never- take them to the stealership. A system which I suspect you’d have found quite welcome in caring for an antique Triumph.