Which GM Sedans Are on the Chopping Block After Plant Closures?

GM has revealed exactly when the cars produced at the three factories that will become unallocated in 2019 will stop being produced. While the fates of the plants are clear, the fate of the vehicles is a little less so.

The Chevrolet Volt, Chevrolet Cruze, and the Buick LaCrosse will stop being produced in March 2019, CT6 production will stop in June, and the Impala and the XTS will stop production in the fourth quarter of 2019, according to a document first shared by Jalopnik.

Although the timeline indicates that the CT6’s Hamtramck production will end on June 1, 2019. Whether or not you’ll be able to buy a CT6 in 2020 (and beyond) is still something of a mystery. Although GM previously went through the trouble of announcing that the CT6 Hybrid was being discontinued, it made no mention of the regular CT6.

The CT6 is also produced in Jinquiao, China, and the LaCrosse is also produced in Korea. GM has kept mum about international production. While GM could discontinue both models, their youth (the Cadillac started production in 2016 and the LaCrosse’s started in 2017) would make killing them completely feel wasteful.

GM could also simply decide to stop selling them in the US and sell them only abroad. China’s appetite for sedans hasn’t abated quite as much as America’s, after all.

The Cruze, too, is assembled in many international plants, so its American production may be the only one ending.

The Impala, meanwhile, is only built in Michigan and Ontario, so there’s little doubt that this is the Impala’s death knell. The XTS, it seems likely, will suffer the same fate.

And while the fate of several of the vehicles remains a little mysterious, like the Volt, it is noteworthy that all of the vehicles announced for discontinuation are sedans. The market for capital C cars has been shrinking quickly lately and many of GM’s competitors have all but given up on them. Chrysler has stopped producing small sedans, while Ford stopped producing sedans altogether.

It remains a shock to see these vehicles leave so soon, though, as they weren’t particularly old and GM had indicated in the past that it wanted to pick up the sedan sales its competitors were abandoning. A drive away from volume toward profit, though, appears to have tipped the scales against the sedan (in North America, at least).

Intriguingly, GM’s Fairfax Assembly plant in Kansas has been spared, despite only producing the Malibu. That car is also produced in Shanghai, South Korea, and Uzbekistan.

GM hasn’t quite revealed what its product plans are following these announcements. And while the news doesn’t appear to be good for any of them, whether this means more imports, a smaller product portfolio in North America, or just fewer GM cars, in general, remains unclear. We’ll keep following this story as it unfolds.

From GMInsideNews.com

sonata55X says:

My opinion is GM especially just could NEVER COMPETE WITH THE HYUNDAI’S, TOYOTA’S, NISSAN’S, HONDA’S & OTHER FOREIGN SEDAN MANUFACTORERS BECAUSE THEIR QUALITY WAS ALWAYS INFERIOR TO THESE MAKES!!!!!…I’m American and if I could have found an American sedan that had the high quality of those foreign make’s, I would have bought one!!!!!…But I was never satisfied with the quality/design of what GM, Ford, and Chrysler were producing as far as 4-door sedans to purchase one, which is why I bought a Hyundai!!!!!… Unfortunately at GM especially, they were satisfied with producing shoddy/poor quality cars for the Masses, because they believed American’s didn’t care about quality, which to some extent was true, and why Pontiac and Oldsmobile we’re discontinued quite a long time ago!!!!!

RBL43 says:

I TEND TO AGREE WITH YOU AS I AM NOW RIDING IN A 99 HONDA WITH 362,300 MILES ON IT. IT NEEDED A WINDSHIELD WHEN I BOUGHT IT. I HAD IT MARYLAND INSPECTED (WHICH IS ONE OF THE TOUGHEST IN THE COUNTRY) AND IT SAILED RIGHT THRU, EXCEPT FOR THE WINDSHIELD WHICH I REPLACED. I USUALLY BUY USED CARS AND HAVE HAD PRETTY GOOD LUCK WITH AMERICAN MADE CARS. I THINK WE STILL NEED A BIG 4 DOOR SEDAN LIKE THE 95 IMPALAS AS SOME PEOPLE WOULD WANT ONE. THEY GIVE AROUND 23 TO 24 MPG. WITH A 5.7 350 IN THEM. PRICES HAVE ALSO HURT CAR SALES.

Rob Urie says:

So sad, but true.

K03sport says:

so are they (GM) just giving up and throwing in the towel, like Ford? You would hope that under-performance, sales wise, would make them ask “what are we doing wrong?”, “what is it that is making our products non-competitive?”, and a few other What” questions to help them get to the real answer. I guess the public is speaking once again with their money saying they don’t want sub-par experiences/build quality/dull or numb interactions with their vehicle.

Oh, and GM, get rid of the start/stop tech; it is crap and is a huge turnoff…literally.

I guess there are a bunch of out of touch, crotchety old men in control that can’t see the forest through the trees and are relying on “loyalty” or “pride” to sell their products. All I know is those “JD Powers” commercials don’t do jack squat along with the groups of clueless people that act surprised to “sell” lackluster GM products. Not to mention, those commercials are using data based of 2015 (or earlier) statistics.

sonata55X says:

Yes my friend I’ve noticed the commercial’s your referring to, What a JOKE!!!!!…IT’S WHY GM’S MARKET SHARE HAS CONTINUALLY ERODED OVER MANY DECADES, WHERE THEY USED TO HAVE AT LEAST A 60% & HIGHER SHARE OF THE US MARKET AT LEAST FOR PASSENGER CARS, TODAY IT’S PROBABLY NOT EVEN 10%!…It’s a shame really!!!!!
Ford/Chrysler won’t make any more 4-door sedans as far as I’ve been able to find out,Their done!!!!!

Dick Mottram says:

If they made large full size sedans, they would sell. The sedans of today are so small that they are driving everyone to purchase crew cab pickups.

Mark Geller says:

Unfortunately, they make them now and…. they do not sell.

Dick Mottram says:

Mark, the “large cars” they sell today are smaller than the midsize cars of the 60s. They need to build a car that seats a family of six. We used to put all 6 of us into a large car and put the luggage, camping gear, and food into our are. You can’t do that in what they call a “large car” today. It’s no wonder they are not selling cars and people are running to crew cab pickups.

roundthings says:

Mary Barra is a disgrace. Does this moron even have a clue about how this looks to American buyers who helped bail them out?
In addition I see Civics, Mazda 3s, Golfs, Jetta’s, Elantra’s, Forte’s, Corolla’s etc all over the place. I used to see Cruzen as well until they re-designed it, added Stop/Start that can’t be turned off and priced it too high.
Run Away Mary would rather drop vehicles then fight for customers.
Fire her. Now.

sonata55X says:

Yeah, I liked the Chevy Cruze for a while, it’s looks started to grow on me. But GM’s Chevrolet division has decided to discontinue production of the Impala, Cruze, Volt very soon by the end of 2019, not sure about the Malibu!…The big 3 are just gonna make Trucks & SUV’S, that’s what I’ve been able to find out!