Have you recently received a mailer for a Vehicle Assurance extended auto warranty? Or maybe you’re considering an extended car warranty and browsing possible options. In either case, it’s a good idea to practice due diligence and research any vehicle service contract provider before you sign up for coverage.
We’ve reviewed the best extended car warranty companies in the industry, looking at factors like coverage options, cost, claims process, and customer reputation. In this article, we’ll see how Vehicle Assurance compares in each category.
The best way to find the cheapest vehicle coverage is to compare free quotes from a number of providers. You can start reaching out to our top recommended providers by clicking below.
To learn more about our editorial integrity policy and how we make money through affiliate partnerships, read our full disclosure here.
Table of contents
Vehicle Assurance Highlights
Vehicle Assurance offers coverage in every state except California. It has been in business for 13 years and sells service contracts through its administrators United Car Care, American Auto Shield, and Omega Auto Care.
Vehicle Assurance Extended Auto Warranty Coverage
A Vehicle Assurance extended auto warranty is designed to help pay for repair bills once your manufacturer’s warranty expires. Each of Vehicle Assurance’s administrators offers a number of contract options.
There are three contracts available through United Car Care:
- Platinum Plus Protection: This is an exclusionary bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. Exclusions include exterior features, upholstery, the catalytic converter, brake pads, and brake shoes.
- Diamond Protection: This plan covers the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, suspension, steering, brakes, electrical, air conditioning, cooling system, fuel system, and high-tech components.
- Gold Protection: This contract includes coverage for the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, air conditioning, electrical components, and fuel system.
Vehicle Assurance also offers contracts through Omega Auto Care, American Auto Shield, and Heartland Vehicle Protection. Omega Auto Care and American Auto Shield contracts are roughly equivalent to the options described above. Heartland offers slightly different options:
- Exclusionary Coverage: This plan is similar to the United Car Care Platinum Plus Protection.
- Hi-Tech Used Coverage: This covers high-tech components, factory-installed navigation systems, and other electronics (like power motors, door locks, and mirrors).
All contracts are fully transferable and come with exclusions and exceptions that void coverage. Examples of these include:
- Failure to keep up with routine maintenance services
- Damage from acts of nature
- Aftermarket modifications
- Damage from road racing or towing over 2,000 pounds
- Vehicles used for commercial purposes
- Wear-and-tear parts (applies to valves, piston rings, transmission clutch, and more)
It is important to note that plans do not activate immediately upon purchase. There is a 30-day and 1,000-mile waiting period. This is standard for most vehicle service contracts.
Finally, Vehicle Assurance sells dent protection plans through Dent Wizard. These plans include unlimited paintless dent repairs even for pre-existing dents and dings.
If you purchase a contract through Vehicle Assurance, you will also have access to the following perks:
- Roadside assistance
- Rental car reimbursement
- Trip interruption reimbursement
- Tire repair
These perks are relatively standard for the industry, but the tire repair coverage is a unique bonus.
Vehicle Assurance Cost
The cost of a Vehicle Assurance aftermarket car warranty will vary depending on the age, mileage, and model of your vehicle. Older vehicles and specialty cars are more expensive to maintain, thus more expensive to cover.
We called Vehicle Assurance for a quote for a 2017 Ford Explorer with 45,500 miles. The representative provided us with the following offer for Platinum Plus Protection. (Note that your own quotes may differ.)
|Vehicle Assurance Extended Warranty Cost|
|Coverage Term||5 years or 125,000 miles|
|Payment Plan||$323.08 per month for 12 months|
|Cost Per Year of Coverage||$774.39|
This quote includes a $500 first-time caller discount. We were informed that further discounts are available for military members, senior citizens, and first-time car owners.
This price is average for the industry. It is not particularly high, but it is not an especially good deal, either.
Quotes and Claims Processes
The Vehicle Assurance quotes process is very simple. Call 866-341-9255 and be ready to provide your ZIP code as well as your vehicle make, model, and mileage. When we called Vehicle Assurance for a quote, the entire process took less than 10 minutes.
If you decide to cancel your contract after you purchase it, there is a 30-day money-back guarantee period.
If your vehicle breaks down, be sure to take any reasonable steps to protect it from sustaining additional damage. Try to get it to a repair shop as quickly as possible. It is recommended that you have your vehicle serviced at a dealership, but you can take your car to any mechanic certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE®).
Once your vehicle is safely parked at a repair shop, authorize a teardown service and call your plan administrator for approval before any repairs begin. If your claim is approved, the administrator will pay the repair facility directly and you pay only your deductible.
Vehicle Assurance Reviews and Ratings
Vehicle Assurance does not have the best customer reputation. Though it has a solid B+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), its BBB page also includes the following alert:
Better Business Bureau is urging consumers to use caution when considering doing business with Vehicle Assurance, an extended auto service contract company. BBB has received a pattern of complaints alleging consumers receiving unsolicited phone calls and mailers, misleading sales tactics, failure to honor the contract, and poor customer service.
We have seen similar BBB alerts for other extended warranty companies. It is not uncommon for extended warranty providers to practice aggressive marketing techniques, but it is a red flag. More reputable providers do not need to resort to such irritating tactics.
At the time of publication, Vehicle Assurance also holds just a 1.0 out of 5.0-star rating from customers on the BBB, but this is based on under 20 reviews, so it likely does not represent the views of all contract holders.
Vehicle Assurance Extended Warranty: 2.9 Stars
Vehicle Assurance uses known contract administrators and provides reasonably priced service contracts. However, nothing about the company stands out against the host of other options on the market. Contract terms are not exceptionally high, and coverage is standard. While the price options are fair, the company has a poor online reputation.
You are probably better off seeking an extended service plan elsewhere.
Top Recommendations for Extended Car Warranties
It’s always a good idea to shop around when buying a vehicle service contract. An unreliable provider can make the hassle of having your car repaired even more unpleasant. Be sure that you feel comfortable with whichever company you choose to do business with. Two companies that we recommend are Endurance and CARCHEX.
Endurance: Best Coverage
Endurance is steadily becoming a giant in the extended car warranty market. It has been named on the Inc. 5000, a list of the fastest-growing companies in the US, every year since 2015. Endurance offers six coverage levels that range from basic engine protection to exclusionary bumper-to-bumper warranties, and some plans come with included coverage for routine maintenance services.
The company administers its own contracts, which means that whether you’re getting a quote or filing a claim after a breakdown, you’ll be working with the same customer care team. This also means there’s no middleman to slow down the claims process.
You can get a free, personalized Endurance extended warranty quote by clicking below.
Endurance is our pick for best coverage with its comprehensive warranty options.
CARCHEX: Best For Used Cars
CARCHEX is another fast-growing and respected provider. It has been featured on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing companies eight times, most recently in 2018. The company has five coverage plans to choose from and can cover vehicles up to 250,000 miles, which are some of the longest term limits in the industry.
CARCHEX has an excellent reputation. This provider has an A+ rating from the BBB and many positive customer reviews. CARCHEX also partners with industry leaders like CARFAX and Kelley Blue Book, which adds to its credibility.
You can click below to reach out to CARCHEX for a free extended warranty quote.
Our review team prides itself on sharing accurate and unbiased information with consumers. We have accumulated data from dozens of extended auto warranty companies to formulate our rankings of the industry’s best providers. Companies receive a score out of 5.0 overall, as well as a rating in each of the following categories:
- Price: Comparing providers can be difficult due to the many factors that influence cost. To determine this score, we employ a secret shopper analysis using different vehicles, mileages, warranty plans, and locations.
- Coverage: A wide variety of coverage is essential to support the differing needs of customers. We take into account the number of extended car warranty plans available, term limits, exclusions, and additional benefits.
- Customer Service: The level of customer service and care provided by an extended warranty company is an important consideration. Our review team sifts through customer reviews and complaints from reputable sources such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot. We also consider the responsiveness of each company’s customer service team based on our secret shopper analysis.
- Reputation: Good extended warranty providers consistently provide quality experiences. Our team takes into account BBB ratings and the company’s history of reliable service when giving this score.
- Transparency: Customers value a commitment to open and honest communication when it comes to vehicle service contracts. Our team of experts takes into account the availability of money-back guarantees and sample contracts.