One often overlooked accessory among car owners is a gas can. Most car owners won’t buy one until they absolutely need one, but that’s a situation you want to avoid. Whether it’s for emergency purposes or refilling other equipment around the house, owning a gas can has its benefits. You definitely don’t want to wait until you accidentally get stranded on the side of the road with no fuel, wishing you had a gas can handy.
Shopping for a gas can may seem pretty straightforward, it’s just a container after all. But there are some features that will make pouring a lot easier, which is important because you don’t want to spill or leak fuel all over your clothes. Quality construction is important too, as the last thing you want is fuel leaking from your container.
For more information on the best gas cans, refer to our table of contents.
Table of contents
1. Editor's Pick: Stens No-Spill 5-Gallon Poly Gas Can
Stens’ No-Spill gas cans are available in 1.25-, 2.5- and 5-gallon sizes and we recommend grabbing the 5-gallon can if size doesn’t matter to you. These gas cans are at the top of our list since they only dispense fuel when you’re pushing a button, helping ensure there are no accidental spills or leaks. They feature a wide and stable design to help prevent tipping, while a large neck opening lets you get a clear picture of what’s going on while pouring.
It’s versatile as well, with a 7/8″ funnel spout (with an attached dust cover) that will allow you to refill small equipment. There is also an auto-stop feature that cuts off the flow of fuel so you can’t accidentally overflow your tank, which comes in handy since these cans are capable of flowing 3 gallons of fuel per minute.
These gas cans from Stens are made in the U.S. and are EPA, California, and CPSC compliant. You can also get yellow cans for diesel, or blue for kerosene.
- Available in 1.25-, 2.5-, and 5-gallon sizes—also yellow for diesel, blue for kerosene
- Push button control to dispense fuel
- Wide and stable design to reduce chances of tipping
- Large neck opening
- 7/8″ funnel spout
- Attached dust cover
- Integrated 20 mesh stainless steel screen
- Fuel flow rate of 3 gallons per minute
- Auto-stop to prevent overflowing
- EPA, California, and CPSC compliant
- Made in the U.S.
2. Eagle 5-Gallon Galvanized Steel Gas Can
If you’re not a fan of plastic gas cans, take a look at this galvanized steel option from Eagle. These are crafted from nearly seamless 24-gauge hot dipped galvanized steel, providing excellent durability that can withstand temperature changes. Manufactured in the U.S., our recommendation is a 5-gallon option that comes with a poly yellow funnel, which can easily be removed to fill the can. The outside is finished off with a red powdercoat finish, but blue (kerosene), yellow (diesel), and green (oil) variants are also available.
A patented comfort grip trigger release is accompanied by a spring closing lid and fixed handle for easy carrying. Each can is 100% leak tested and meets OSHA and NFPA code requirements. They are also UL, ULC, and FM approved.
- 24-gauge galvanized steel gas can
- Powdercoat finish
- Also available in blue, green, or yellow
- Excellent durability
- Withstands temperature changes
- Includes easily removable poly yellow funnel
- Patented comfort grip trigger release
- Spring closing lid
- Fixed handle
- 100% leak tested
- Meets OSHA & NFPA code requirements
- UL, ULC, and FM approved
- Made in the U.S.
3. GARAGE BOSS Briggs and Stratton 1-Gallon Press 'N Pour Gas Can
Another gas can option with press button operation comes from GARAGE BOSS. This Press ‘N Pour Gas Can is available in 1+ gallon, 2+ gallons, and 5+ gallons sizes, but they all have the same features. Along with the simple press button pour is a translucent spout extension that allows you to see the fuel as it dispenses, helping prevent overfilling. There is also a built-in dust cap holder on the spout housing so you never accidentally misplace your dust cap. If you’re having to refill larger machinery, simply unscrew the spout extension for a faster flow rate.
All of the Press ‘N Pour gas cans are CARB and EPA compliant.
- Available in 1+ gallon, 2+ gallon, and 5+ gallon sizes
- Press button operation
- Translucent spout extension (that is removable for faster pouring)
- Built-in dust cap holder
- CARB/EPA compliant
4. Surecan 2.2-Gallon Gas Can
This 2.2-gallon option from Surecan features a durable design and a thumb trigger and locking system for easy dispensing. A child-proof fill cap and spout is attached to the can, while a comfortable grip sits on top. What makes this gas can appealing is the flexible spout that rotates more than 180°, making it easy to refill at any angle. It has a self venting design along with hand grips at the bottom to make it easier to support the weight.
Surecan’s gas cans are made in the U.S.
- Thumb trigger and locking system
- Durable design
- Child-proof fill cap and spout
- Comfortable grip
- Spout rotates more than 180°
- Self venting
- Hand grips at the bottom
- Made in the U.S.
5. VP Racing Fuels 5-Gallon Utility Jug
If you’ve ever attended a motorsports event, there’s a good chance you’ve seen a VP Racing Fuels container lying around in the pit area. These “utility jugs” are popular among racers, crafted from high density polyethylene that is subject to a 15-point quality test. The company also includes a 3-year limited warranty against cracks, leaks, or splitting.
Each jug features an ergonomically contoured handle along with a bottom grip for easy pouring. Up top is a non-breakable, multipurpose cap with rubber gaskets.
- Popular with motorsports enthusiasts
- High density polyethylene
- Subject to a 15-point quality test
- 3-year limited warranty against cracks, leaks, or splitting
- Ergonomically contoured handle
- Bottom grip
- Non-breakable, multipurpose cap with rubber gaskets
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.
Photo credit: Sergey Novikov / Shutterstock.com