Main photo credit: Maria Sbytova / Shutterstock.com
If you’re getting ready to welcome a newborn baby to the world, you’re likely staring at an overwhelming list of items you need to buy. An infant car seat should be towards the top of the list, especially since most hospitals won’t even discharge you and your baby without a proper infant car seat. It’s completely understandable if you’re overwhelmed by all the options out there on the market, it is a product designed to protect your baby after all. So needless to say, you’ll want to purchase the best one possible to keep your infant safe.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the best infant car seats available, highlighting their features and what you need to know before adding it to your cart. You’ll want to look for an infant car seat that offers full body protection, is easy to properly install, and is versatile enough that it can be used outside of your car. Other factors to consider is how easy it is to wash the fabric and if a specific car seat is compatible with your stroller.
For more information on the best infant car seats, refer to our table of contents.
Table of contents
1. Editor's Pick: Britax B-Safe 35 Infant Car Seat
Packed with all the features you’d expect from a quality infant car seat, our top recommendation offers full body protection, surrounding the baby’s head, neck, and torso. Contributing to safety is SafeCell Technology that helps absorb crash energy, while a high strength steel frame reinforces the base. The seat is also equipped with an extra large canopy to protect the baby from sun and rain. Installation is straightforward thanks to SafeCenter LATCH, making it easy to secure and tighten the base. Built-in lock-offs help ensure a snug installation when using the vehicle’s seat belt.
For convenience, spring-assisted recline and dual level indicators help make it easier to find the proper installation angle. When it comes time to cleaning, the cover can be quickly taken off without removing the harness. This infant car seat can be used rear-facing from 4 pounds to 35 pounds.
- Rear-facing infant seat supports 4 pounds to 35 pounds
- Full body protection
- SafeCell Technology absorbs crash energy
- High strength steel frame
- Extra large canopy
- SafeCenter LATCH
- Built-in lock-offs
- Spring-assisted recline and dual level indicators
- Easily removable cover
2. Safety 1st onBoard 35 LT Infant Car Seat
This ultra lightweight option can be used as a rear-facing infant seat for children weighing 4 pounds to 35 pounds. Next-generation engineering offers exceptional safety, with deep sides and energy absorbing materials providing side impact protection. The seat also includes head and body inserts that can be added or removed for smaller babies as they grow.
Convenience features on this recommendation include 4 harness heights, a height-adjustable base, and the car seat pad is machine washable and dryer safe. The LATCH-equipped seat is also compatible with any Quick Click stroller. It meets or exceeds federal, ASTM, and JPMA safety standards and the company provides a 1-year warranty.
- Rear-facing infant seat supports 4 pounds to 35 pounds
- Deep sides and energy absorbing materials
- Includes head and body inserts
- Four harness heights
- Height-adjustable base
- Machine-washable and dryer-safe car seat pad
- LATCH equipped
- Compatible with any Quick Click stroller
- Meets or exceeds federal, ASTM, and JPMA safety standards
- 1-year warranty
3. Graco SnugRide SnugLock 35 Platinum XT Infant Car Seat
This versatile option is designed for convenience, offering a secure one-step attachment to all Click Connect strollers so parents can create a custom travel system based on their needs. Installation is hassle free by using either the car’s seat belt or LATCH (don’t use both), while the adjustable base offers 4 recline positions so you can easily get the right angle.
Designed to protect rear-facing infants from 4 pounds to 35 pounds and up to 32″, this infant car seat is equipped with a SafetyCore Energy Absorption Zone that absorbs crash forces if an accident does occur. Another great feature is the Silent Shade Canopy, which can be adjusted without disturbing the baby. It features an expandable mesh panel that unzips for more coverage while providing air circulation.
- Rear-facing infant seat supports 4 pounds to 35 pounds and up to 32″
- One-step attachment to all Click Connect strollers
- Easy installation with either car’s seat belt or LATCH
- Adjustable base offers 4 recline positions
- SafetyCore Energy Absorption Zone
- Silent Shade Canopy
- Expandable mesh panel
4. Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat
Designed to be a rear-facing seat for infants weighing 4 pounds to 30 pounds and up to 30″, this recommendation is one of the easiest infant car seats to install. It features a stay-in-car base with a ReclineSure leveling foot and 2 RidgeRight bubble level indicators to easily get the proper angle. The base is equipped with premium LATCH connectors and a SuperCinch tightener for a secure fit. The seat can also be installed using the vehicle’s seat belt, with clear belt routing and integrated lock-offs making it easy to position, tighten, and lock the belt in place.
For safety and comfort, there are removable head and body supports, while the one-pull, 5-point harness can be tightened with just one hand. In addition, the carrier shell is lined with EPA energy-absorbing foam for improved impact protection. Lastly, there is an adjustable and removable canopy that provides shade from the sun. This infant car seat is compatible with strollers from the same company if you’re looking to build a travel system.
- Rear-facing infant seat supports 4 pounds to 30 pounds and up to 30″
- Stay-in-car base features ReclineSure leveling foot and 2 RidgeRight bubble level indicators
- Premium LATCH connectors
- SuperCinch tightener
- Removable head and body supports
- One-pull, 5-point harness
- Carrier shell is lined with EPA energy-absorbing foam
- Adjustable and removable canopy
- Compatible with strollers from the same company
5. Maxi-Cosi Mico Max 30 Infant Car Seat
With Air Protect Side Impact Protection and an anti-rebound bar, this infant car seat is designed to provide superior safety for an infant. It’s a rear-facing seat that accommodates 4 pounds to 30 pounds and up to 32″, with an adjustable stay-in-car base. An extended canopy with a flip-out visor provides maximum UV protection, while the easily removable self-wicking fabrics are ideal for cleaning. An innovative design allows you to remove the fabrics without having to re-thread the harness.
This seat can also easily be installed without the base, making it ideal for travel. The contoured handle curves around your hip so it’s more comfortable to carry. Included with the seat are adapters that can be used with compatible strollers so you can create your own travel system.
- Rear-facing infant seat supports 4 pounds to 30 pounds and up to 32″
- Air Protect Side Impact Protection
- Anti-rebound bar
- Adjustable stay-in-car base
- Extended canopy with flip-out visor
- Easily removable, self-wicking fabrics
- Contoured handle
- Includes adapters for compatible strollers
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.