Member’s Choice offers extensive coverage options and benefits to members of participating credit unions. But is a Member’s Choice extended warranty the best choice to protect your vehicle?
In this review, we’ll dive into Member’s Choice extended warranty plans, customer service, and industry reputation, as well as parent company CUNA Mutual Group. We’ll also recommend a couple of the best extended car warranty companies who provide peace of mind when facing unexpected repairs.
Remember, it’s always smart to get pricing and plan information from multiple companies to make sure you’re getting the best deal for high-quality coverage.
To learn more about our editorial integrity policy and how we make money through affiliate partnerships, read our full disclosure here.
Table of contents
- Member’s Choice Extended Warranty Highlights
- Member’s Choice Extended Warranty Cost
- What Does a Member’s Choice Extended Warranty Cover?
- Quotes and Claims Processes
- Member’s Choice Extended Warranty Reviews
- Member’s Choice Extended Warranty: 3.4 Stars
- Top Recommendations for Extended Car Warranties
- Q & A
Member’s Choice Extended Warranty Highlights
|Price||See credit union|
Member’s Choice extended warranty services are sold through credit unions nationwide. Member’s Choice is a subsidiary of CUNA Mutual Group, a group of insurance companies that provides coverage for customers across the globe.
Through Member’s Choice, CUNA Mutual Insurance Agency, Inc. brokers vehicle service contracts from multiple providers. The providers that underwrite Member’s Choice warranty contracts vary by state:
|State||Member’s Choice Extended Warranty Underwriter|
|Florida, Louisiana, and Oklahoma||Automotive Warranty Services of Florida, Inc.|
|California||Virginia Surety Company, Inc.|
|Washington||National Product Care Company|
|All other states||Consumer Program Administrators, Inc.|
Member’s Choice Extended Warranty Cost
Cost information is not available on the Member’s Choice extended warranty site, so you’ll need to check with your local credit union to get a quote.
Our 2021 extended auto warranty survey which polled 1,000 consumers found that 45 percent of respondents paid between $1,500 and $2,500 for a warranty plan. Extended warranty coverage can typically be paid in monthly installments versus paying one big lump sum.
Factors that will affect the price of your Member’s Choice extended warranty include:
- Your vehicle’s make, model, age, and mileage
- Your location
- The plan you choose
- The deductible you choose
Member’s Choice has deductible options of $0, $50, $100, and $250. The higher your deductible, the lower your premium will be, and vice versa.
All Member’s Choice extended warranty plans are transferable if you decide to sell your vehicle while it’s still under warranty, which can increase your vehicle’s resale value. If you’re unsatisfied with your coverage, you can cancel your contract for a full refund within 90 days of purchase. After 90 days, plans can still be canceled at any time for a prorated refund.
What Does a Member’s Choice Extended Warranty Cover?
Member’s Choice extended warranties come in three levels: full bumper-to-bumper exclusionary coverage, comprehensive stated-component coverage, and enhanced powertrain coverage, named Platinum, Gold, and Silver, respectively. Coverage can last up to 10 years or 125,000 miles for new and used vehicles.
The Member’s Choice Platinum plan offers exclusionary, bumper-to-bumper coverage. It covers all vehicle parts, except for exclusions that are listed on your contract. Parts that are covered include high-tech and entertainment systems, safety and security equipment, and convenience items such as your clock, compass, and illuminated vanity mirrors.
The Gold plan is a step down, offering comprehensive stated-component coverage that covers the powertrain plus advanced components such as the radiator, power window motors, fuel tank, and anti-lock brake system. It also includes an advanced hybrid and electric vehicle (EV) components.
The Silver plan is Member’s Choice enhanced powertrain coverage. It covers vehicle parts and systems including:
- Drive axle
- Front suspension
- Electrical components
- Air conditioning
- Basic hybrid and EV components
- Seals and gaskets
The Member’s Choice extended warranties do not cover:
- Wear-and-tear items such as brake pads, headlamps, and wiper blades
- Normal maintenance such as oil changes and tire rotations
- Aftermarket modifications
- Damages caused by abuse, misuse, lack of maintenance, and neglect
Benefits of Member’s Choice Extended Warranty Plans
Benefits that come with all Member’s Choice extended warranties include:
- Rental car reimbursement: Up to $30 per day for a maximum of five days
- 24/7 emergency roadside assistance: Up to $100 per occurrence for services such as towing, battery jump-starts, fluid deliveries, flat tire assistance, and lockout services
- Travel expense reimbursement: Up to $500 for lodging, food, and rental reimbursement when you break down over 100 miles away from your home
Quotes and Claims Processes
To get a quote for a Member’s Choice extended warranty, call a local participating credit union. Most vehicles will qualify for coverage from Member’s Choice, regardless of age or mileage.
Member’s Choice boasts a “hassle-free claims process.” In the event of a breakdown, you can bring your car to any dealership or licensed repair shop in the US or Canada. Be sure to check your contract to see whether Member’s Choice will need to authorize repairs before work begins. After repairs have been completed, Member’s Choice will pay the repair facility directly, and you’ll only be responsible for your deductible.
Member’s Choice Extended Warranty Reviews
The parent company of Member’s Choice, CUNA Mutual Group, has an A- rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, there are very few customer reviews and complaints to give insight into Member’s Choice extended warranty coverage.
Member’s Choice had received just one review on the BBB at the time of publication, in which a customer who had purchased a Gold plan felt their claim was unjustly denied and stated the Member’s Choice representatives they dealt with were rude.
CUNA Mutual Group’s AM Best Financial Strength Rating is an A. This is a positive indication that Member’s Choice will be financially capable to pay out customer extended car warranty claims.
Member’s Choice Extended Warranty: 3.4 Stars
While Member’s Choice extended warranties provide extensive, comprehensive coverage and are backed by a financially stable insurance agency, they’re only available to members of participating credit unions. If you don’t qualify for a Member’s Choice extended warranty or if you’re interested in finding more flexible coverage from a top reputable extended car warranty company, try one of our recommended providers below.
Top Recommendations for Extended Car Warranties
We recommend customers who do not think that Member’s Choice warranty is a good fit for coverage look at Endurance or CARCHEX for an extended auto warranty.
Our review team examined every major extended auto warranty provider in the industry, taking a look at plan options, costs, customer reviews, and more. Based on this, we found Endurance and CARCHEX to offer the best extended warranties on the market.
Endurance: Best Coverage
Endurance is known nationwide for its comprehensive coverage and extensive benefits package. This provider offers six plan levels:
- Supreme: Exclusionary bumper-to-bumper coverage
- Superior: Comprehensive stated-component coverage
- Secure Plus: Enhanced powertrain coverage
- Secure: Affordable basic powertrain coverage
- Select Premier: Specialized coverage designed for high-mileage vehicles
- EnduranceAdvantage™: This plan covers mechanical breakdowns as well as maintenance, like oil changes, engine diagnostics, and brake pad replacements.
Every Endurance auto warranty comes with a free year of Endurance Elite Benefits. This gives customers access to exclusive benefits such as:
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Total loss protection
- Collision discount
- Tire repairs and replacements
- Key fob replacements
- Endurance mobile app
Endurance is our pick for best direct provider with its comprehensive coverage options.
CARCHEX: Best For Used Cars
CARCHEX offers the best customer service in the extended car warranty industry. The company has thousands of positive customer reviews and partners with many prominent companies, such as CARFAX, Edmunds.com, and Kelley Blue Book.
CARCHEX offers five extended warranty plans:
- Titanium: Exclusionary coverage, similar to a bumper-to-bumper warranty
- Platinum: Comprehensive stated-component coverage
- Gold: Mid-tier coverage tailored to the needs of higher-mileage vehicles
- Silver: Enhanced powertrain coverage
- Bronze: Basic powertrain coverage
Similar to a Member’s Choice extended warranty, coverage comes with roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and trip interruption coverage.
Learn more about the provider in our in-depth CARCHEX review.
Our review team prides itself on sharing accurate and unbiased information with consumers. We have accumulated data from dozens of extended auto warranty companies to formulate our rankings of the industry’s best providers. Companies receive a score out of 5.0 overall, as well as a rating in each of the following categories:
- Price: Comparing providers can be difficult due to the many factors that influence cost. To determine this score, we employ a secret shopper analysis using different vehicles, mileages, warranty plans, and locations.
- Coverage: A wide variety of coverage is essential to support the differing needs of customers. We take into account the number of extended car warranty plans available, term limits, exclusions, and additional benefits.
- Customer Service: The level of customer service and care provided by an extended warranty company is an important consideration. Our review team sifts through customer reviews and complaints from reputable sources such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot. We also consider the responsiveness of each company’s customer service team based on our secret shopper analysis.
- Reputation: Good extended warranty providers consistently provide quality experiences. Our team takes into account BBB ratings and the company’s history of reliable service when giving this score.
- Transparency: Customers value a commitment to open and honest communication when it comes to vehicle service contracts. Our team of experts takes into account the availability of money-back guarantees and sample contracts.