Report: GM Expects First Monthly Sales Increase in Almost Two Years

Colum Wood
by Colum Wood

GM’s sales numbers for October must be good because the company is already announcing that it expects to post its first monthly sales increase in 21 months. Still several days away, Mike DiGiovanni, GM’s executive director of global market and industry analysis, told the Detroit Free Press the good news.

Looking back to October of 2009, GM sold 168,719 vehicles, which at the time was a 45.1 percent decrease from October ’07.

Impressively, the increase comes with GM focusing on just its four core brands, with the vast majority of the sales coming from Chevy, Buick, GMC and Cadillac. This October 95 percent of the company’s sales are made up from the core four, with the remaining 5 percent coming from Pontiac, Saturn, Saab and Hummer. Last year, those brands accounted for 15 percent of the total sales.

Official numbers aren’t due out until next week. There is no word if other automakers are expecting similar gains as the industry rebounds after the recession and the cash-for-clunkers hangover.

[Source: Detroit Free Press]

Colum Wood
Colum Wood

With AutoGuide from its launch, Colum previously acted as Editor-in-Chief of Modified Luxury & Exotics magazine where he became a certifiable car snob driving supercars like the Koenigsegg CCX and racing down the autobahn in anything over 500 hp. He has won numerous automotive journalism awards including the Best Video Journalism Award in 2014 and 2015 from the Automotive Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC). Colum founded Geared Content Studios, VerticalScope's in-house branded content division and works to find ways to integrate brands organically into content.

More by Colum Wood

Join the conversation