Most manufacturers offer factory warranties that protect you against pricey car repairs early on in your car’s life—but what happens when those expire? Getting an extended warranty from a company like ForeverCar can give you peace of mind well into your vehicle’s golden years.
In this article, we review ForeverCar, a lesser-known extended auto warranty provider that offers several plan and pricing options. Read on to learn more about ForeverCar’s coverage, cost, quotes and claims processes, and whether we recommend reaching out for a quote.
Our review team has identified some of the best extended car warranty companies in the industry, which we can compare to ForeverCar. Use the buttons below to start comparing rates from our top-choice providers.
To learn more about our editorial integrity policy and how we make money through affiliate partnerships, read our full disclosure here.
Table of contents
Chicago-based ForeverCar officially debuted in 2014 as the largest online comparison-shopping marketplace and has since grown to become an extended warranty provider.
ForeverCar partners with companies like The General, Liberty Mutual, SafeAuto, Consumers Credit Union, and more to give customer- and member-exclusive discounts on protection plans. It also partners with different auto dealers, so you may even be able to get a ForeverCar extended warranty when purchasing a new or used vehicle.
The company has a great reputation, earning a 4.8-star rating on Trustpilot with over 3,300 reviews—89 percent of which give 5.0-star ratings. Many of ForeverCar’s positive reviews mention how easy the claims process is, as well as positive experiences with customer service, especially while getting a quote. It is also holds an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Plans are available in all 50 states except California. Plan duration and mileage limitations are different for plans purchased in the state of Washington.
ForeverCar Extended Auto Warranty Coverage
ForeverCar offers four coverage levels to suit the needs of any car owner. All plans are offered for 3 years/unlimited miles.
|What It Covers|
|Platinum Plus Plan||Comprehensive, bumper-to-bumper coverage with added coverage for “wearables,” or parts that require frequent replacement like brake pads, batteries (excluding hybrid batteries), light bulbs, belts and hoses, wiper blades, and wheel alignments|
|Platinum Plan||Coverage for most parts of the vehicle, with a few exclusions like regular maintenance, aftermarket parts, and parts that need frequent replacement from normal wear and tear|
|Gold Plan||Coverage for the powertrain and advanced components like the anti-lock brake system, radiator, fuel tank and hard lines, advanced hybrid/EV components, and sensors for coolant, oil, fuel, and temperature|
|Silver Plan||Basic powertrain warranty that protects a number of components related to the engine, transmission, steering, front suspension, brakes, electrical, and air conditioning, plus basic hybrid/EV components|
Other perks of a ForeverCar extended warranty include:
- Emergency roadside assistance: 24-hour assistance for services like towing, battery jump-starts, fluid delivery, flat tire changes, and lockout service (up to $100 per occurrence)
- Rental car reimbursement: Up to $35 per day for up to 10 days
- Trip interruption coverage: Reimbursement for lodging, food, and transportation costs when a covered breakdown occurs 100 miles or more from your home (up to $200 per day for five days)
ForeverCar does require you to use one of its preferred repair facilities, but it works with an extensive network of dealer service centers, franchise repair centers, and independent repair shops. If necessary, it can help you find a repair facility in your area.
As with any extended auto warranty company, ForeverCar considers a number of factors that can affect the price of your quote, including:
- Your vehicle’s mileage and model year
- The plan and deductible you choose ($0, $100, $250, or $500)
- Your accident history
When our review team reached out about ForeverCar’s Platinum Plus bumper-to-bumper warranty for a 2017 Ford Explorer with 45,000 miles, we were quoted $87 per monthly payment with a $250 deductible. We also requested a quote for the Silver powertrain warranty and were offered $49.50 per month with a $250 deductible. Both quotes are for ForeverCar’s sole term limit option: 36 months/unlimited miles.
Again, ForeverCar uses multiple factors to determine each quote, so rates for your vehicle service contract could be higher or lower.
If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, ForeverCar offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Quotes and Claims Processes
ForeverCar makes it easy to get quotes three ways: via phone, web, or live chat. In our experience, phone wait times ranged from less than 30 seconds to one minute. From start to finish, getting a quote over the phone took less than 10 minutes.
While getting a quote is simple, actually purchasing coverage is a bit more complicated, as ForeverCar requires you to get a vehicle inspection before officially offering you service. A customer service representative will arrange the inspection for you while you’re on the phone with them, and ForeverCar will pay for the inspection. After the inspection is completed, a representative will give you a call to discuss the results and next steps.
If your vehicle fails the inspection, you can either get any necessary repairs made and have the vehicle reinspected, or you can purchase coverage that excludes the specific parts of your vehicle that failed.
As a rule of thumb, ForeverCar does not provide coverage for vehicles older than the model year of 2010 or with more than 150,000 miles on the odometer.
How to File a Claim
When you need to make a covered repair, it’s relatively painless on your end. The ForeverCar claims process is as follows:
- Take your vehicle to an approved repair center, and present your vehicle service agreement.
- Have your mechanic diagnose the problem. Using your vehicle identification number (VIN), your mechanic will get pre-authorization from ForeverCar’s claims department before starting work on your vehicle. Some maintenance-related claims may require service records.
- ForeverCar authorizes the repairs. This usually takes only an hour or two, but authorization cannot be given outside of regular business hours.
- Your mechanic makes the authorized repairs to your vehicle.
- You pay the repair center your deductible and drive off. ForeverCar handles the rest of the payment.
ForeverCar Ratings and Reviews
As mentioned, ForeverCar has an A+ rating from the BBB—with only a few complaints filed in the past three years—and a 4.8-star rating on Trustpilot with over 3,300 reviews. The company has also won numerous awards, including the 2018 IT World Award Gold Startup of the Year and a 2018 Stevie Award for Product of the Year.
Positive ForeverCar Reviews:
“I found a great plan at a great price with all the amenities I needed. [The sales representative] was professional, and very knowledgeable on answering and helping me make the best choice for the plan I purchased. I’m a customer for life.”
-Ernesto Guerra via Trustpilot
“I was pleasantly surprised at how simple… the claim was. ForeverCar covered exactly what was advertised. Everything being handled through the dealership made things effortless on my part. I would strongly recommend ForeverCar to anyone.”
-Thomas via Trustpilot
Negative ForeverCar Reviews:
“Check first with your preferred mechanic or dealer to see if they will honor this coverage. My dealer refused to work with them due to the time involved in trying to get claims processed.”
-Heather M. via Trustpilot
“Forever car took about two and a half weeks ro approve the claim. During that time my car had to be stopped at the shop (worst at the street in front of the shop) they told me that I couldn’t get the car until the inspector went there. Inspector took few days to send the data and then more days to approve it.”
-Andres via Trustpilot
ForeverCar Extended Warranty: 4.1 Stars
ForeverCar’s claim to emphasize transparency, trust, and convenience comes to fruition with service aspects including paying repair shops directly and providing three easy ways to get a quote.
At the end of the day, this warranty company is worth a look, especially if you’re interested in a provider with a good reputation, above-average customer satisfaction, and relatively painless processes. However, ForeverCar only offers four levels of coverage and is a fairly new company in the extended warranty space. So while we recommend reaching out for a quote from ForeverCar, it’s a good idea to look elsewhere and compare all of your options before signing on the dotted line.
Top Recommendations for Extended Car Warranties
When shopping for an extended warranty for your vehicle, it’s always smart to get quotes from more than one provider.
In our research of reputable extended car warranty companies, we identified Endurance and CARCHEX as the industry’s top two providers. Read on to find out more about these companies, and use the links below to start comparing quotes.
Endurance: 4.6 Stars
After conducting a comprehensive review of extended warranty companies, we determined Endurance was the industry leader. It was the only company on our radar that made the 2019 Inc. 5000 list, and despite having only a C+ rating from the BBB, Endurance has an overwhelmingly positive reputation overall.
Offering six levels of coverage for up to 8 years or 200,000+ miles, Endurance auto warranty options exceed those of ForeverCar. This provider has the best benefits of any provider we reviewed, through offering one year free of Elite Benefits. Deductibles typically range between $0 and $200.
Endurance is our pick for best direct provider with its comprehensive coverage options.
CARCHEX: 4.4 Stars
With over 20 years of experience in the industry and an A+ BBB rating and accreditation, CARCHEX earns our vote for Best for Used Cars. Like ForeverCar, it boasts an easy claims process, direct payments to repair facilities, and prompt responses from customer service specialists.
The extended warranty company gives car owners the choice of five coverage levels and offers competitive pricing options through different providers. Deductibles can range from $0 to $200. The CARCHEX website provides sample contracts that break down terms and additional information for each extended auto warranty plan.
Our review team prides itself on sharing accurate and unbiased information with consumers. We have accumulated data from dozens of extended auto warranty companies to formulate our rankings of the industry’s best providers. Companies receive a score out of 5.0 overall, as well as a rating in each of the following categories:
- Price: Comparing providers can be difficult due to the many factors that influence cost. To determine this score, we employ a secret shopper analysis using different vehicles, mileages, warranty plans, and locations.
- Coverage: A wide variety of coverage is essential to support the differing needs of customers. We take into account the number of extended car warranty plans available, term limits, exclusions, and additional benefits.
- Customer Service: The level of customer service and care provided by an extended warranty company is an important consideration. Our review team sifts through customer reviews and complaints from reputable sources such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot. We also consider the responsiveness of each company’s customer service team based on our secret shopper analysis.
- Reputation: Good extended warranty providers consistently provide quality experiences. Our team takes into account BBB ratings and the company’s history of reliable service when giving this score.
- Transparency: Customers value a commitment to open and honest communication when it comes to vehicle service contracts. Our team of experts takes into account the availability of money-back guarantees and sample contracts.